Re: trying to convert to nftables I have a problem that it adds rules on its own - SOLVED

On Wed, 13 May 2020 22:57:42 -0500
info@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> On 5/13/20 10:02 PM, D&R wrote:
> > nftable.conf is setup as:
> >
> > flush ruleset
> > table inet nat {
> >         chain postrouting {
> >                 type nat hook postrouting priority srcnat; policy accept;
> >                 masquerade random,persistent
> >         }
> > }
> > table inet filter {
> >         chain input {
> >                 type filter hook input priority filter; policy drop;
> >                 counter jump block
> >         }
> >         chain forward {
> >                 type filter hook forward priority filter; policy drop;
> >                 counter jump block
> >         }
> >         chain output {
> >                 type filter hook output priority filter; policy accept;
> >         }
> >         chain block {
> >                 ct state { established, related } counter accept comment
> > "accept all connections related to connections made by us" iifname
> > "enp1s0" counter accept iifname "enp2s0" counter accept
> >                 iif "lo" accept comment "accept loopback"
> >                 tcp dport xxxxx counter accept comment "accept SSH"
> >                 counter log prefix "IPTABLES IN= " level crit flags tcp
> > sequence,options counter drop comment "count dropped packets"
> >         }
> > }
> >

> > After it runs for a few minutes it adds the following at the bottom of the
> > table:
> >

> > table ip filter {
> >         chain INPUT {
> >                 type filter hook input priority filter; policy accept;
> >                 counter packets 214 bytes 18153 jump block
> >         }
> >
> >         chain FORWARD {
> >                 type filter hook forward priority filter; policy accept;
> >                 counter packets 525 bytes 85145 jump block
> >         }
> >
> >         chain OUTPUT {
> >                 type filter hook output priority filter; policy accept;
> >         }
> >
> >         chain block {
> >         }
> > }
> >
> > I can't explain this, can anyone else do so?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > David
> > Fedora Code of Conduct:
> > https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/project/code-of-conduct/ List
> > Guidelines: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines List
> > Archives:
> > https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> maybe something else is running like firewalld? i've been using nftables
> for a while on other distros and now on fedora and i haven't seen any
> changes being made to my nftables.conf.
>
> maybe run "systemctl status firewalld"?

I had gone back iptables several times while trying to understand nftables.
For the first several switches this problem did not occur.

The last switch to nftables I ran:
iptables -F and iptables -X
but did not run
rpm -e --nodeps iptables.

I removed iptables and the problem went away but on the nftables wiki it
states:

Question 4. How do nftables and iptables interact when used on the same system?

What happens when you mix Iptables and Nftables? How do they interact?
nft 		Empty 	Accept 	Accept 	    Block       Blank
iptables 	Empty 	Empty 	Block 	    Accept      Accept
Results 	Pass 	Pass 	Unreachable Unreachable Pass

My nftables has been running for hours with no problem.

Thanks for your responses,

David