Re: Need help with a weird kernel update panic.

A sync will flush the writes to the journal were the data is safe.  It
will not force a replay of the journal.

Nothing except removing the journal from the ext4 filesystem will fix it.

This is not a fedora bug, this is a long standing
kernel/grub/filesystem interaction bug (all who use a journaled
filesystem have this bug).

See tune2fs and something like -O ^has_journal will turn off the
journal.  It has to be done unmounted and verify that your fstab entry
will remounted it.

Check /proc/mounts having data=XXX (probably ordered) says you have a
journal, after the umount+above tune2fs+remount the data=ordered will
be gone.