Re: dual Ethernet adapters?

If it is a really dumb switch you don't need a bond on the switch.  In
my experience most simple switches can move the mac address from one
port to another so fast that without bonding setup it will act as
round-robin on the switch end (if linux is setup round-robin).   On
the better managed switches it will detect the mac address existing on
both ports and complain and/or disable a port.  The high volume of
complaining will cause the management processor to work hard.  On
newer software defined switches they will generally have issues trying
to move the mac addresses around as on a virtual switch (many switches
acting like one) that has to be done in software and won't be able to
keep up.

So put the linux machine in round-robin bonding mode, and connect to
switch.  Do some testing and see how much bandwidth you can get, if
you exceed about 130Mbytes/sec on a dual gb link then it is probably
working.   You should be able to see the amount of data going over
each interface with sar -n DEV (install sysstat) and google how to
change it sampling rate down to 1minute.  Note with nfs and/or disk
access being involved you may not be able to sustain anywhere close to
that rate.  When I have tested my gbit setup I almost never get
anywhere close to the rate even when I am trying, so it might be best
to install sar and see if you are getting anywhere close to 1gbit now.
If you have a switch that supports lacp/802 something then setup both
sides of the bond to lacp/802* with layer3+4 routing on the linux end.