Re: Restoring a USB back-up using Back-ups (Duplicity) on Fedora

Hi,

Samuel Sieb wrote:
> I was thinking that he had used one of the tools to
> create the live media, but that usually gives a mount point of "LIVE", so it
> likely was a straight write of the iso.

Oops. I did not consider unpacker/installer tools.
So Andrew Wood should better run something like

  sudo lsblk -o NAME,SIZE,FSTYPE,LABEL

to get an overview of block devices and show us the lines which say
"Fedora-WS-Live-32-1-6" and their subordinates (or their boss and peers).
If the ISO was copied directly to the stick, they probably look like

  sdd       1.8G iso9660 Fedora-WS-Live-31-1-6
  ├─sdd1    1.8G iso9660 Fedora-WS-Live-31-1-6
  ├─sdd2   10.6M vfat    ANACONDA
  └─sdd3   22.2M hfsplus ANACONDA

> Have you seen USB sticks that come with a GPT partition table?

Not when they are new. But people or software can decide to equip
the stick with GPT.

grub-mkrescue produces ISOs with GPT. Guix and other projects use it
to make their installation ISOs. If you run sfdisk after copying the
ISO in order to let it move the backup table to the storage device
end, then the stick gets fully GPT compliant.

(Fedora ISOs contain an invalid GPT and its backup. But because the
GPT is not announced by a protective MBR partition table, it is not
recognizable. Its backup table will hardly ever get at the exact end
of a storage device. So it will not be recognized either. Cargo cult.
I try to proselyte distros to use plain not nested MBR table. But
everybody is reluctant to change layouts that work by accident but
are nevertheless reliable.)

> the filesystem still needs to
> be reformatted and set to the right volume id.

Yes.

I think "7160-75C1" was what man mformat calls -N "serial number" and
man mkdosfs calls -i "volume id", in contrast to -v "volume label" and
-n "volume name" which can take up to 11 characters. The label was
probably all blanks, so that the blkid "UUID" value was chosen as mount
point name.

Whatever, it seems that Andrew Wood needs hands-on advise how to
partition the USB stick. The instruction for how to then create the
filesystem was given by Samuel Sieb by:

  sudo mkfs.fat -i 716075C1 /dev/sdb1

with the caveat that /dev/sdb1 is only an example and has to be replaced
by the address of the newly created first partition of the stick.

And of course an example has to be given how to restore the backup into
the new filesystem.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas