Re: Lost Mate-panel

On Sun, 03 May 2020 14:41:40 -0700, Samuel Sieb wrote:

> On 5/3/20 10:49 AM, Beartooth wrote:
>> On Sat, 02 May 2020 14:24:41 -0700, Samuel Sieb wrote:
>>
>>> I'm not familiar with Mate, but try opening the file browser.  At
>>> least on Gnome, the available partitions are listed in the list on the
>>> left and you can click to mount them.
>>
>> 	Bingo! I see two choices that are way too big to be on the DVD.
>> Caja can open both. Is there a canonical way to get to the panels,
>> better than trial and error? If I can locate and them, via GUI or via
>> CLI, maybe it'll be apparent to me or to someone here what is wrong and
>> how to fix them.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by "the panels".

	Remember that Mate resembles Gnome2; my old man's memory is way
full of languages, and seldom recalls commands unless I use them very
often, like "dnf upgrade." But my spatial memory remains usable.

	So the first thing I do on any install is to put panels top,
bottom, and both sides; and populate them with a fixed arrangement of
icons in fixed places.

	When I tried to follow the usual CLI upgrade, I got failures
because of the presence of i.686. I did "dnf remove  mate-*.i.686" --
then it completed, or seemed to; but after the upgrade reboot, when I
KVM'd to the Thinkpad, I saw only blank flashing panels on each monitor.
There was no terminal emulator anywhere.

	So I created an F 32 Mate live medium on another machine, and
managed to boot from that. As I see it, I can just install F 32 from live
medium; or I can get into the hard drive, find a/o figure out (with a lot
of help) what is wrong, fix it, and keep both my data and my arrangement
of panels and icons, which is fairly tedious (but safe) to set up from
scratch.

> Figure out which entry is
> the root partition.  I'm going to assume it's called root and that
> you're running as a user called "liveuser".  If that's wrong, then
> you'll need to adjust the following commands accordingly.  Open a
> terminal and cd to "/run/media/liveuser/root".  Run "sudo chroot."

	That gets "No such file or directory." I tried removing "/root"
from it, and tried "chroot." I got "missing operand."

	My machines have always been physically secure; so I've never
learned sudo. I tried "su - " and became root.

> Then try running "journalctl -b-1" and see if you can find an error or
> some reason that your graphical interface isn't loading.

	Both with that, and with a space between "b" and "-1", I got (in
bold) "Data from the specified boot (-1) is not available: No such boot
ID in journal"

> I'm a little concerned about what you think you messed up when running
> in non-graphical mode earlier.  Does using "3" not boot you to a login
> prompt now?

	Yes, it does. I must have said something badly.
--
Beartooth Staffwright, Not Quite Clueless Power User
Remember I know little (precious little!) of where up is.