Re: How to turn of Intel VGA controller?

On Sat, 2020-05-02 at 13:00 -0700, Samuel Sieb wrote:

> Depending on how the hardware is setup, you might not be able to
> disable
> the Intel one.  (See the other very long thread here that has been
> discussing that same issue for an AMD setup.)  Do you have a right-
> click
> option to run applications on the other GPU?

Sigh.  I was afraid of that.  Yeah, I read part of that thread (I had
inadvertently deleted the earlier part of it).  I went on the HP site,
and apparently there's some HP tool on Windows (at least for AMD cards)
that you can use -- but of course I've wiped Windows from my box.

I imaged the original disk, so I suppose I can put the Windows image
back on and see if I can do it that way, but that's going to eat up a
day doing backups and swapping disk images and stuff.

> > First, of course, graphics seems to work in general. Blender runs
> > fine,
> > but (for those of you who might use blender), when using the
> > Cycles
> > renderer, I can only render using the CPU.
> > $lsmod | grep nvidia
> > nvidia_drm             53248  0
> > nvidia_modeset       1118208  1 nvidia_drm
> > nvidia              20504576  4 nvidia_modeset
> > ipmi_msghandler       118784  1 nvidia
> > drm_kms_helper        237568  2 nvidia_drm,i915
> > drm                   598016  13 drm_kms_helper,nvidia_drm,i915
> The driver is loaded.
>
> > The following is a little odd. This used to load, but while
> > floundering
> > about, I removed and reinstalled the Nvidia driver from NVIDIA. Now
> > it
> > won't load:
> >
> > $ nvidia-settings
> >
> > ERROR: Unable to load info from any available system
>
> This is a problem.  If the settings app can't find the card, then
> CUDA
> likely won't be able to either.  You probably have to fully clean
> out
> all the NVidia stuff and reinstall it properly.

Bummer.

> > I assume the tainting stuff below is because I'm using the driver
> > downloaded from NVIDIA.
>
> Yes.
> You downloaded it from NVidia instead of using the rpmfusion
> packages?
> Cleaning it up will be extra fun then...

Yeah.  I'll probably just do a clean reinstall of F 31.  The problem
was that the rpmfusion packages started giving me errors loading the
nvidia modules into the kernel when I did an update and upgraded the
kernel.  So I removed the rpmfusion packages and downloaded the NVIDIA
package. Those modules loaded, but things are screwed up now.