Re: AMD GPU not used by Fedora 31

On Fri, 01 May 2020 20:12:05 -0000
"Sreyan Chakravarty" <sreyan32@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > On Mon, 27 Apr 2020 16:33:54 -0000
> > "stan" ; wrote:

> > Check at the website of the builder of your laptop, and
> > maybe ask them if it is possible.  That's the simplest solution.  No
> > dice?

> I can try but most probably they wont reply, even if they did I don't
> think they would know anything about Linux or open-source drivers.
> They are focussed for Windows.

The link suggested that oems went to multiplexed gpus to save money.
If hardware muxing costs $10 per laptop, and they sell 100,000 laptops,
they save a million dollars.  But, it might only cost a few cents to
put a hardware jumper on the motherboard that can be set to one or the
other as primary.  With their superior knowledge of the system, they
might be able to point you to that.  It was a long shot, and you are
probably correct that there is no way to do this in the hardware.  That
would have nothing to do with windows or linux, hardware only.

> > I was going to suggest building a kernel without the intel driver
>
> Ok before I about compiling my own kernel I would like to inform you
> about what I have done so far.
>
> So I have followed the instructions of :
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HybridGraphics

As Samuel pointed out, those instructions don't apply to your
situation.  The link I sent provided a non switcheroo workaround under
X, if your two gpu devices met requirements.  I take it that those
instructions were either too complex for you to follow, appeared too
risky to follow, or were under X and you only want this to work under
wayland.

A low risk command from those instructions to see your hardware under
xrandr.  Can be run as normal user.
xrandr --listproviders

I see you have received a lot of help from others, probably better help
than I could give, so I am going to stop here.  But thanks for the
information, I like the learning.