Re: AAUGH! More "helpful" software!

James Szinger writes:

On Tue, 28 Apr 2020 13:12:35 -0400
Tom Horsley <horsley1953@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Bingo! I used "systemctl --root=/mnt/sysroot" to mask both
> packagekit-offline-update and packagekit before booting the
> first time after the reinstall, and rebooted with no messages
> about installing updates. (And no gnome notifications about
> new updates I desperately need to install).

Don’t forget systemctl disable dnf-makecache.timer`

I actually don't mind quietly having the update metadata pulled in, once a day or so. I just have a thing about not trying to cram an update down my throat, unless I ask for it, explicitly.

I'm curious whether Windows Update is actually smart enough to postpone updates at shutdown if the system's on a UPS and it's being shut down because it's on battery; or if it's smart enough to postpone an on-shutdown update if the laptop's battery is low.

I'll bet that it's far more likely that it is, and I'll be pleasantly surprised if the Fedora implementation does the same thing too – avoid the updates if the shutdown is trigger by a power failure (and there are a few UPS monitoring packages in Fedora that could initiate this) or if the laptop battery is low.

No matter the case, I understand the desire to have a smooth user experience for system updates. But, this should be done /at the shutdown prompt/. Check if there are updates available, and offer an additional "Install updates and shutdown", and "Install updates and reboot" options, maybe even make them default.

But don't automatically install updates without consent, like this, please.