Re: Files: folder and file names not visible since upgrade to f31.

Let's start over (sort-of).  In his signature, Ed says "The key to getting good answers is to ask good questions.".  True, but not complete.  Good observations and evidence are needed also.  It did not occur to me try certain things; and it did not occur to me that some things that I did notice could be relevant.

The problem with the "Files" (Nautilus) display is *not* the text color.  The problem is the *background* color.  With the theme set to "Adwaita-dark", the background should be dark gray.  My apologies for not saying that before now.

I brought xeyes into this discussion because with both Files and xeyes, the symptoms are background, and in both cases, the problems started with the upgrade to f31.  I thought that they could be related.

I spent a lot of time and effort researching and experimenting.  I have 4 accounts on my workstation: the root account, an admin account, and 2 user accounts.  Here's what I've found:
- In gnome, the Files display is what it should be in 3 of the 4 accounts, but wrong in the user account I use most of the time.
- In gnome, xeyes misbehaves in all 4 accounts.
- In plasma, xeyes behaves correctly in all 4 accounts.
- In plasma, the Files display is fine in all 4 accounts.
You can view the bad Files display here:
"https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hh_G48m8bm-XWwMIR3mA_jJp9CJ75SvC/view?usp=sharing";.
I got a screen capture of what the Files display should look like while experimenting in the other user account (the one I rarely use).  You can view that here:
"https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gcdcR0-erP-4v4pO_-usfTHdVkn-q8dr/view?usp=sharing";.

All personalizations, customizations, preferences, etc. that I've done were done with the high level GUI tools provided by the desktop environments (Settings, KDE System Settings, Tweaks, etc.), never with gconf-editor, dconf-editor, or any brute-force method.

I read the man pages and web sites I found for gconf-editor and dconf-editor.  They did not tell me enough.  Samuel is correct.  The gconf-editor is deprecated.  I did try the dconf-editor.  It did not seem to offer me anything useful beyond the settings and tweak tools, and was difficult to use.

I now believe the Files problem is not a bug.  The xeyes problem still could be a bug (in gnome?  in underlying graphics software?  in xorg-x11-apps?).

Most of the research/experimenting I did seemed like groping around in the dark.  I could really use some good suggestions on how to get Files to display correctly, with a dark background in user account that I use almost all of the time.  I'm now clueless on where to look and what to look for.  And any ideas on the xeyes problems?

Thank-you in advance.
Bill.