Re: a newbie question about how Fedora ecosystem

Hi David,

On Mon, Apr 27, 2020 at 10:55 AM David <dlocklear01@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I am only curious here, ( this is mostly about mirrors and
> the Rawhide repo ):
>
> After coding changes in each package get approved, by
> someone in Fedora,
>
> I assume somebody above them in the chain-of-command,
> has the authority to upload that
> package to the main Fedora mirror.    Right ?

Approval is only needed for a package to be added to Fedora in the
first place, using a review process documented here:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Package_Review_Process

Once a package has been approved, the packager has leeway to maintain
the package without further approvals (but subject to the Fedora
Packaging Guidelines, e.g.,
https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/fesco/Updates_Policy/).

When an upstream releases a new version, they may contact the
packager.  I don't have many upstreams that do that.  I usually find
out about new versions from https://release-monitoring.org/.  The
packager downloads the new version, makes necessary adjustments to the
spec file, then builds for Rawhide.  If that is successful and the
update is suitable for stable versions of Fedora, then the package
builds in reverse numerical order; i.e., today I would build for
Fedora 32 first, then Fedora 31.  After the builds are complete, an
update is created on https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/.

> If so what happens next.     Does that main mirror shake hands
> ( fist bump ? ),
> with the lesser mirrors around the world ?

Something like that.  The secondary mirrors generally connect to the
primary mirror on a regular basis to see what has changed.  The mirror
manager can choose how often to do that.  I'm not sure what is
typical, but I do generally see updates within 24 hours of them
landing in the main repository.

> I assume that from the moment the coder sends his new
> changes of a specific package to his Fedora contact, that it takes
> a week to reach the Rawhide repo.

Once the packager does the Rawhide build, that build becomes available
for other packages to build against within a short time, generally a
matter of a few minutes.  Rawhide composes typically happen once every
24 hours, so those running Rawhide will see the updates the next day.
For stable versions of Fedora, once the update is created in Bodhi, a
mandatory testing period begins.  Users are encouraged to test these
updates and leave a score (called "karma") indicating whether the
update works or not.  See
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_Easy_Karma for a handy tool to
make this easy.  In the usual case, the update stays in testing until
it has been there for 7 days or it receives a 3 positive karma and no
negative karma.  The packager can choose not to push the update to
stable based on karma, in which case it stays in testing until the
packager manually pushes a button to make it go stable.

> I see from my perspective that when the Fedora Rawhide
> Compose is posted on the listserve that it is usually two or
> three days, before I get that update for any package on the list ( if I have
> it installed ).

If the Rawhide and stable release builds are done on the same day,
then the update should show up in the updates-testing repository at
around the same time that the Rawhide compose becomes available.  From
there, the testing clock begins counting down the 7 days.

> Is some of the automated parts to any process above "continuous" or
> does it require someone to hit the re-build button, every day or two ?

There is a continuous integration service that packagers can use,
called "koschei".  Read about it here:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Koschei.  Those builds do not go into
Rawhide or stable releases, however.  The packager has to manually
trigger such builds.

>           Here is a great example:
>
>           Package:      soundtracker-1.0.0.1-1.fc33
>           Old package:  soundtracker-0.6.8-31.fc31
>
>           From the moment, the developer of soundtracker ( or package manager, etc ) emailed that new
>           updated package to someone at Fedora.    How did the ball get rolling ?

I think I answered that above.  Let me know if anything was unclear.

> Did I leave out anything worth noting ?

I don't think so.  Did I?

> I guess my next question would be:   do the other major distros have a similar or identical way
> of doing all this upstream fancy stuff.   OpenSUSE or Manjaro, for example ?

I haven't worked with other distributions, so I am unqualified to
answer this question.  Regards,
--
Jerry James
http://www.jamezone.org/