Re: Anaconda error, no explanation

On Sun, Apr 19, 2020 at 6:08 AM Jonathan Billings <billings@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Apr 18, 2020, at 16:19, stan via users <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > That was a while ago, and the details are
> > vague to me now, but there was a partition for efi, a partition for
> > keeping the disk layout, and a backup mbr partition.
>
> For EFI only systems, you only need an EFI volume (fat32) which is typically mounted to /boot/efi, a /boot partition and a root partition (or LVM PV). I’m not sure if you need /boot anymore or if GRUB2 is smart enough to read LVM.

 GRUB has been able to read LVM metadata for quite a long time; but
support hasn't extended to supporting the newer features of LVM
including now using the md driver for the backend (same kernel code as
mdadm uses), and thin provisioning. So yeah, if it's limited to
conventional linear LVM, GRUB can boot off that. In fact it can boot
from a degraded mdadm raid6 with LVM on top, even if every drive is
LUKS encrypted. (LUKS1 for now, LUKS2 support on the way). Also
directly supports Btrfs booting, with all the supported compression
types, raid5/6 even degraded, and the latest raid1c3 and raid1c4. It's
no doubt a long list of things it can't support, but I would not be
surprised if the supported list is way longer.

Funny enough one thing it doesn't support, and would be difficult to
support, is journal replay following a crash. There are cases where if
journal replay doesn't happen, the file system metadata doesn't have a
correct view of its own state, so boot can fail. Whereas after journal
replay, it'll work. Hence, the importance of making the last critical
bootloader change atomic, so that there's always a fallback. This was
improved quite a lot with recent BLS by default work.

--
Chris Murphy