Re: tip: upgrade to 32

On Sat, 2020-04-18 at 21:24 -0700, ToddAndMargo via users wrote:
> The thing is that Firefox is not tolerant of mistakes
> on web sites.  They are purest and think the web site
> should be fixed.

All web browsers are tolerant of authoring faults, some browsers are
way too tolerant (and in doing so, often introduce security flaws).
It's all too common for web service coders to NEVER test their code,
and just see if it appears to work in one or two browsers.  No browser
is a fault-tester.

Plenty of coders do not know HTML, JavaScript, etc., and flagrantly
violate how it's supposed to be used.  It's sheer lunacy to expect that
kind of site to work properly in any browser.  You can only make so
many guesses about how broken code was supposed to work.  Not to
mention that we still have the situation that some browsers offer extra
special (off-spec) features that simply are not going to exist in other
browsers, and we still have dumb coders who don't see what's wrong with
trying to use such quirks.

There's a bunch of web hosts who are real slack-arses who think that
they can leave SSL certificates seriously out-of-date and expect their
clients to just skip past a rejected certificate.  On some browsers,
they rightly refuse to bypass certain levels of unacceptable
certificates.

Again, we still get websites that are only designed to work with
Microsoft products, perhaps with encouragement rather than just sheer
laziness.  When faced with a site like that, there's nothing that
Firefox, or any other browser, coder can do about it.

It's an unfortunate reality that we almost have to have more than one
browser installed.  And while you've found bias against Firefox, others
will have found bias against other browsers.  And it is well worth
tracking down a contact address for a business service, or the turn-key
web portal author, and sending them the "I was going to do business
with you, but your website failed to work with my mainstream browser."

And there's the converse, like this: https://webcompat.com/  Where it
hopefully aids in finding shortcomings in browsers.  Because sometimes
it is the browser's fault.

--

uname -rsvp
Linux 3.10.0-1062.18.1.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Mar 17 23:49:17 UTC 2020 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All unexpected mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.