Re: how to view files over the Internet?

On Sat, Apr 18, 2020 at 4:33 AM Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallaghan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

By far the easiest solution is to use one of the commercial cloud
providers such as Dropbox or Google Drive. I'd certainly consider those
before rolling my own solution, as long as they meet your requirements.

Since I just finished going through this, I'll add my 2 cents. Google Drive didn't work for me, even though I've already got a Google account. This is because there is no syncing client for Linux, and that's what most of my machines are. I understand that there is a new 3rd party "Gdrive" client; I will have to look into that when I get time. Dropbox has recently reduced the number of allowed devices to 2 without a paid account, which caused me to start looking at other services. Never looked at NextCloud. My personal choice was SpiderOak, because they store your data encrypted so that even their own employees can't see it. So I figured if I was going to have to have a paid account anyway, I'd use that. The only drawback to SpiderOak is that the Android client is read-only. This is intentional due to the lack of security on Android devices, but this could make it a non-starter for some (such as my wife, who does absolutely everything on her phone; she has a Linux laptop but only uses it for things where she needs more screen real estate).  I also use Amazon S3 as an archive, because it is very cheap if you use the tier where writing is easy but restoring is slower and costs. But it's good for storing stuff I don't want to lose (such as encrypted copies of my GnuCash data file, all our photos and videos).

I'm not claiming I know best about all this, just some data points.

--Greg