Re: device names

On Mon, Apr 13, 2020 at 10:48 PM Tim via users
<users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, 2020-04-14 at 00:26 +0200, Tom H wrote:
> > The improvement's when you have a multiple NICs and swap one out. You
> > no longer have to edit "/etc/udev/rules.d/<something>.rules" in order
> > to have the swapped-in NIC keep the name of the swapped-out NIC.
>
> My understanding of how the device names were generated was that if you
> didn't replace a NIC with an identical model, in the exact same spot,
> you could well end up with a different device name.

If the PCI bus setup does not change the location  and naming does not change.

On some cards there is a extra pci piece of hw that changes the final
numbering usually because one 4pt card is directly attached to the pci
bus but the other 4pt card is  really 2 - 2pt cards sitting on a piece
of hw that allows that to happen.     Once a given node was installed
it was very very rare to change the card setup, we accepted that.

And we only have one model of nic card per model of actual machine, so
we replace with identical 99% of the time, and when we don't we move
to the defined udev rule for the new config (new udev rule when
dissimilar hardware models were use on 5/6 to force the mapping to
work, just renamed ifcfg- names and device= on 7 based on a mapping
table that we had).

> There was an order of how to name things, starting at the top, going
> down the list if that scheme wasn't do-able:
>
> Firmware or BIOS can form the device name.

That seems to be pretty inconsistent even with the server vendors I
have dealt with, and generally it completely goes out the window with
any pci add-in cards.    With the desktop vendors and/or vmware it
seems to not exist.  The 7 naming scheme says using bios name first
then move to the pci bus naming, so yours having an odd names means
your bios did set it.