Re: anybody using IceCat ?

On Fri, 2020-04-10 at 12:50 -0500, David wrote:
> I looks like it will not allow me to log into Google.    I use Google
> extensively.
>
> I think that it forces you ( out of the box ) to watch YouTube videos
> on ViewTube.
>
> CNN was all garbled mess, unusable.
>
> I assume IceCat is for those that like to go to the seedy places on
> the web, so I "tested" that, and the page I went to would not play
> videos.

I don't think so.  It's more about making it freeware, and increasing
privacy (curtailing sites that track and database you - which is mostly
done through advertising), and it's renamed since Firefox guards their
name for use only under their terms.

It's no surprise that tracking- and advertising-oriented websites will
fail.  And if you're actually logging into Google, there's virtually no
point in trying to privitise your activity with it.

https://www.gnu.org/software/gnuzilla/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_IceCat

If your goal is simply to cut down the annoyance of adverts flashing in
your face, loudly interrupting what you're doing, and making your CPU
do extra work that you don't want it doing, then there are probably
better ways to manage that.  There's a few ad- and script-blocking
plugins that put the kybosh on most of the major annoyances without
making most websites unusable.

These are the only Firefox addons that I bother with:

AdBlocker for YouTube.  I'm still trialling this one.

NoScript Security Suite.  You can allow scripting, bit by bit, until a
site begins to work.  Most script-laden sites will run a variety of
scripts, one for their adverts, one for their menus, one for their
graphics animations, another for other features, etc.  And you can
allow or deny them individually, temporarily or permanently.  After a
while, you begin recognise that certain scripts are used everywhere,
and may be essential to getting some fancy sites to work, but less
essential on other sites.  You recognise that some scripts are widely
used but you never see them making any difference to your browsing
experience, so you don't bother allowing them.  And you may recognise
some scripts are a common source of annoyance, so you ban them.

Though, I have to say that I don't always install them.  Firefox has
got a bit better with its in-built content-blocking featues.

Type this into the address bar, and read your options:
about:preferences#privacy

And I usually tweak cookie setting so they're always dumped at the end
of each session.  For the few sites that I will regularly use, and
I want to logon or keep my customisations, I'll allow them to set
cookies in the browser's preferences.  That usually puts the kybosh on
most of the tracking that annoys you (like adverts for the same things
that keep following you around).

Yes, some will advocate that if we're using a website, that we should
allow it to fund itself.  But if sites weren't so damn annoying, or
unethical, about it, we wouldn't be doing this.

--

uname -rsvp
Linux 3.10.0-1062.18.1.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Mar 17 23:49:17 UTC 2020 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All unexpected mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.