Re: Custom ISO won't boot to Fedora

> Hi,
> So i assume you see an ISOLINUX menu with the labels you expect from your
> isolinux.cfg file. (If not, then this would make much more sense to me,
> though.)
>
> Since i assume that your "." directory was the mounted original ISO
> or a copy of the mounted file tree of that ISO, the difference can only
> be in the non-file data blocks of the ISO.
>

> This creates boot records for booting via PC-BIOS and EFI from DVD, but
> not from USB stick or hard disk. A run of program isohybrid --uefi would
> equip the ISO by MBR code and GPT partition table which marks efiboot.img
> as EFI System Partition.

Wow, you have given me a lot of information, most of which i am having trouble understanding because it way too advanced.

So basically what you are saying is my image given the parameters is not bootable from USB, but is bootable from DVD/CD.
But here is the problem, the ISO booted and displayed all the memory options. So something weird is happening there.

I have mailed the guys on the ISOLINUX mailing list but I will probably not get a reply.

> Whatever it should boot from (virtual) DVD via PC-BIOS compatible firmware.
> And if you see an ISOLINUX menu, then it booted indeed.

Yeah this is the weird part.

> It is probably my software which packed up as ISO what Fedora's software
> has prepared on hard disk. In the past i encountered livecd-tools as
> producer of Fedora images.
>
> livecd-tools uses the mkisofs emulation mode of xorriso by the link name
> "xorrisofs" in program
>
>   https://github.com/livecd-tools/livecd-tools/blob/master/imgcreate/live.py

I could not understand what all this is. What I could make out was that the livecd-tools for Fedora itself make use of a genisoimage like program called xorriso.  The documentation is so complicated I could not figure out how to use it.

> The xorrisofs arguments in live.py would match what can be seen in the ISO.
> The run:
>
>   orig=Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-31-1.9.iso
>
>   xorriso -indev "$orig" -report_el_torito plain -report_system_area plain
>
> shows that it has equipment for booting via PC-BIOS or EFI from DVD or
> from USB-stick:
>
>   Preparer Id  : XORRISO-1.5.0 2018.09.15.133001, LIBISOBURN-1.5.0, LIBISOFS-1.5.0,
> LIBBURN-1.5.0
>   El Torito images   :   N  Pltf  B   Emul  Ld_seg  Hdpt  Ldsiz         LBA
>   El Torito boot img :   1  BIOS  y   none  0x0000  0x00      4       16852
>   El Torito boot img :   2  UEFI  y   none  0x0000  0x00  21716          43
>   El Torito boot img :   3  UEFI  y   none  0x0000  0x00  45520        5472
>   El Torito img path :   1  /isolinux/isolinux.bin
>   El Torito img opts :   1  boot-info-table isohybrid-suitable
>   El Torito img path :   2  /images/efiboot.img
>   El Torito img path :   3  /images/macboot.img
>   System area summary: MBR isohybrid cyl-align-off GPT
>   MBR partition table:   N Status  Type        Start       Blocks
>   MBR partition      :   1   0x80  0x00            0      3768320
>   MBR partition      :   2   0x00  0xef          172        21716
>   MBR partition      :   3   0x00  0x00        21888        45520
>   MBR partition path :   2  /images/efiboot.img
>   MBR partition path :   3  /images/macboot.img

I could not understand these commands at all. If its alright with you, would you mind adding some more details ?

>   -V 'Fedora-WS-Live-31-1-9'
>   --modification-date='2019102323212900'
>   -isohybrid-mbr
> --interval:local_fs:0s-15s:zero_mbrpt,zero_gpt:'Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-31-1.9.iso'
>   -partition_cyl_align off
>   -partition_offset 0
>   --mbr-force-bootable
>   -iso_mbr_part_type 0x00
>   -c '/isolinux/boot.cat'
>   -b '/isolinux/isolinux.bin'
>   -no-emul-boot
>   -boot-load-size 4
>   -boot-info-table
>   -eltorito-alt-boot
>   -e '/images/efiboot.img'
>   -no-emul-boot
>   -boot-load-size 21716
>   -isohybrid-gpt-basdat
>   -eltorito-alt-boot
>   -e '/images/macboot.img'
>   -no-emul-boot
>   -boot-load-size 45520
>   -isohybrid-gpt-hfsplus

I could not find these options listed in the xorriso man page so I don't understand what you are referring to.

> But this all does not explain why ISOLINUX could get stuck in its menu.
> I am not an expert for bootloaders or initrds, but rather their neighbor.
> So i cannot even guess what goes wrong.

The most important question I would ask you is:

If someone asked you to create a custom Fedora ISO that you could use in VirtualBox/DVD/USB, what would you do ?

Please note, I mean "custom" as in it should contain some extra files that are not part of the stock ISO. For example, in this case it is my Kickstart file.

What would you do ?

Thanks again.

Regards,
Sreyan Chakravarty