Re: Burning dual layer Bluray discs

Hi,

Richard Shaw wrote:
> I wanted to use libburn as the fork of the cdrecord apps are known toi
> have issues. Not sure what the problem was but after spinning up a bunch
> of times it just crapped out with an unhelpful error.

I'm the developer of libburn, which works underneath Xfburn, cdrskin,
and xorriso.
I know from xorriso users that they burnt multi-layer BD-R successfully.

But reports are sparse and the price for multi-layer BDs is still too
high in comparison to single-layer. So i don't have any.
(I am using single-layer BD-RE with my old application scdbackup, which
 writes large directory trees to multiple media.)

In general, multi-layer BD media offer few opportunities for doing it wrong
while doing it right with single-layer. Other than with DVD+/-R DL,
SCSI/MMC offers no special layer-jump modes and no command to set an
address for the layer jump to happen.
In principle multi-layer BD appears to the burn software like large
single-layer BD.

If you want to give libburn another try with hopefully more informative
messages, you could run xorriso.
For example put two directory trees into the resulting ISO 9660
filesystem and burn it to the blank medium in /dev/sr0

  dir_with_pics1=...path...
  dir_with_pics2=...other.path...
  xorriso -outdev /dev/sr0 \
          -for_backup \
          -map "$dir_with_pics1" /pics1 \
          -map "$dir_with_pics2" /pics2

> Finally I tried k3b which used mkisofs and it actually worked!

Afaik, K3B uses growisofs as burn backend. It formats BD-R media by default,
which cdrecord and libburn do not.

growisofs surely has no knowledge about multi-layer BDs. Its development
ended shortly after single-layer BD became widely available. I studied its
source code when i prepared libburn for BD.
So if it does something different than the others, then i bet on the
formatting.

To let xorriso format the BD-R, insert command -format with mode "as_needed"
after -outdev :

  xorriso -outdev /dev/sr0 \
          -format as_needed \
          -for_backup \
          -map "$dir_with_pics1" /pics1 \
          -map "$dir_with_pics2" /pics2

Formatted BD media show low write speed due to frequent checkreading after
write. This checkreading can be suppressed by libburn.
For full speed with formatted BD, insert command -stream_recording with
parameter "full":

  xorriso -outdev /dev/sr0 \
          -format as_needed \
          -stream_recording full \
          -for_backup \
          -map "$dir_with_pics1" /pics1 \
          -map "$dir_with_pics2" /pics2

Normally one would not format a BD-R and then disable checkreading.
But just in case that the drive only can write to formatted ones, this
combination could make sense.

If formatting turns out to be the decisive trick, you may format the
BD-R in a xorriso run and then use it with a GUI program that offers
no option formatting. Like:

  xorriso -outdev /dev/sr0 -format as_needed

> For posterity I specified a UDF based filesystem.

The filesystem should have no influence on burn success.

As long it is for mounting on Linux or MS-Windows, ISO 9660 is ok even
for large files. The BSDs and Solaris have problems with data files
larger than 4 GiB - 1. (Whether their UDF drivers are any better, i can't
tell.)
The overall size of a 100 GB filesystem should be no problem to any
operating system's ISO 9660 driver.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas