Re: unusual display problem

On Fri, 3 Apr 2020 13:14:54 +1100
fedora@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Thanks Stan,
>
> On 2020-04-03 12:54, stan via users wrote:
> > On Fri, 3 Apr 2020 08:51:27 +1100
> > fedora@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> >
> > No definitive answers, just some questions to point you to
> > troubleshooting.
> >
> >> [the images will be posted as replies due to size limits]
> >>
> >> For a while now I have the following problem. After boot and login
> >> things look OK, however moving any window shows terrible
> >> artifacts.
> >
> > Desktop?  Desktop manager?  What if you try a different desktop, or
> > desktop manager?
>
> Plain XFCE with defaults.
> 	xfwm4
> 	xfdesktop
> 	lxdm
>
> >> 20200402_100028.jpg
> >> 	I do a reverse search: ^Rls -l
> >> At this point the whole line is filled with a repeated quote
> >> character. Doing other things will repeat a substring of what the
> >> text holds. Hitting 'end' key will show the full text followed by
> >> the quotes. Very difficult to work when parts of the text
> >> disappear or get mangled.
> >
> > Sounds like the input is being altered.
>
> What input? I assume you mean keyboard and mouse.

Yeah, you type something, and somewhere along the line between the
keyboard and the screen it is not processed correctly.

> > Is it possible the keyboard is
> > having issues?  Could you try unplugging it and re-plugging it?  How
> > about memory, power supply?  Heat?  Is there dust buildup?
>
> I will try to re-plug the keyboard. Locking the screen (then
> unlocking) does not help.
>
> This is a new computer that is clean and did not show any other
> problem so far. The fact that restarting X by logout/login fixes the
> problem is a clue but I do not know what to try.

That answers that.

> > What happens in virtual consoles?  Say Ctrl-Alt-F2.  Are there
> > problems with text changes or color?
>
> No problem there. Switching VT (GUI->text->GUI) does not help.

So, somehow connected with X.

> > How about with a different terminal in X?  Problem still there?
> >

> >> 20200402_094034.jpg
> >> 	Moving on, I grab the window and move it a bit. The whole
> >> window is filled with a pattern, here is is just a color pattern.
> >
> > Again, this seems like the data is being mis-read, and color
> > characteristics are being altered unintentionally and randomly.
>
> Does not look like a colour thing. If I move the screen at an angle
> then I get diagonal bars across the window window (not the whole
> desktop) and no text visible.
>
> >> If the window gets repainted it looks OK until I move it again. The
> >> only way I found so far to fix it is to restart X, so logout then
> >> login, not nice.
> >
> > Does it stay fixed after the restart of X?  Hardware errors should
> > recur, while software errors will be fixed by reloading.
>
> It always stays fixed. It starts (some time) on first login after a
> reboot.

It doesn't make any sense.  Could there be some configuration
initialization that is only occurring during the start of X, and then
when you logout and log back in, it gets those needed parts and works
correctly?  If that's true, it might be that X doesn't handle your
graphics device properly.  Or could it be XFCE.  I took a quick look at
bugzilla for XFCE, and this issue has not been reported by anyone else.
At least you have a workaround, if clumsy.

Maybe open a bugzilla against X, with the information from your posts
here.  Someone with expertise might recognize the issue immediately.