Re: VideoConference Package?

On Monday 30 March 2020 16:47:37 George N. White III wrote:
> Ekiga <https://www.ekiga.org/> was previous Gnome Meetings:
>
> Available Packages
> Name         : ekiga
> Version      : 4.0.1
> Release      : 46.fc31
> Architecture : x86_64
> Size         : 8.5 M
> Source       : ekiga-4.0.1-46.fc31.src.rpm
> Repository   : fedora
> Summary      : A Gnome based SIP/H323 teleconferencing application
> URL          : https://www.ekiga.org/
> License      : GPLv2+
> Description  : Ekiga is a tool to communicate with video and audio over the
>              : internet. It uses the standard SIP and H323 protocols.
>
> I've never used Ekiga as my video conferences have all had macOS or Windows
> participants.

I thought Ekiga was just a VOIP client. I may take a closer look.  The main stumbling block as has already been said is the platform independance.

> > Hosted systems like Zoom are not opensource, do not use a browser as a
> > client, feed connection data to Facebook, only allow 2 participants for
> > free, and not available for a local install.
> >

> Zoom says they have fixed the Facebook data leak.
> <https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/z3b745/zoom-removes-code-that-sends-data-to-facebook>

I also have my concerns about Zoom. I particularly didn't like their MacOS hack to bypass (hide) asking for permission to turn on the camera.  They also openly admit that they pass on (not sell) personal information to undesclosed third parties to aid their business aims.

Unfortunately, my opinion was only sought AFTER my MD sent out an email telling everyone to sign up and start using it.

As we are now using it I have had to have a look at it. I have installed their App on Windows, Linux, IOS (Iphone) and Android (Galaxy S9).  All apps do appear to work nicely in their environment and play together.

We have not had many meetings using it yet, but I have tried it myself with three attendees (all being myself on different devices) and it seemed failry seemless.

My first experience of Zoom was in a suport role. I had to have assistance from Fortinet in fixing a problem with my firewall. Fortinet use Zoom for remote support and it worked well. The advantage of this over TeamViewer, AnyDesk etc. is the audio facility meaning you don't need to hold a phone to your ear.

Even using the free setup that we have opted for, I was able to simulate report support onto someone else's laptop and again I found it seemless.

> Skype now has a linux version.

I have been a long time Skype user, but again have never thought of it as a video conferencing tool.  Very few people seem to use it this days. Maybe Covid-19 may be it's saviour.

Gary