Re: VideoConference Package?

Zoom is usable on Fedora but for the 40-minute time limit. I have tried it with three people and it works. Under a Pro license, Zoom was able to handle around 36 people and was very good.

WebEx does not have a Linux client, the browser interface is very poor quality, drops connection repeatedly and does not allow for several features such as breakout rooms, etc. I am not aware of all the features because I only run linux (F31).

Someone suggested that I use Microsoft Teams which has a beta linux client but I had not even heard about it till this past Saturday and have no experience with this?

I have not used jitsi or BigBlueButton. I think that jitsi is OSS but I do not know about BigBlueButton.

I found something called openmeetings, but it is java-based, OSS, but not on Fedora. One issue to note is that we should have something that would  be usable on all three platforms (Mash, Windoze, Linux).

I agree that it would be nice to have something on Fedora, but as with everything else, it likely is looking for a volunteer-maintainer packager.

Best wishes,
Ranjan

On Mon, 30 Mar 2020 08:56:23 -0400 John Mellor <john.mellor@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In this extended period of Covid-19 isolation, is there a
> videoconference package available?
>
> Hosted systems like Zoom are not opensource, do not use a browser as a
> client, feed connection data to Facebook, only allow 2 participants for
> free, and not available for a local install.
>
> I thought of Webex, but its Cisco.  Maybe its just me :-)
>
> I took a quick look at Jitsi, but users say it has a fatal extreme
> processor utilization bug, the rpm packages are 3 years out-of-date, and
> does not seem to be present in the normal rpm repos.
>
> I also took a quick look at BigBlueButtion, which looks pretty good.
> However, it only runs on an ancient version of Ubuntu, and uses a shell
> installer for some unknown reason.
>
> This seems like a major application type that appears to be completely
> missing from the repos.  Is anyone building one, and just hasn't
> announced it yet?

Important Notice: This mailbox is ignored: e-mails are set to be deleted on receipt. Please respond to the mailing list if appropriate. For those needing to send personal or professional e-mail, please use appropriate addresses.