Re: rescue mode needs rescuing!

On Thu, 19 Mar 2020 at 00:58, home user <mattisonw@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
(I'm not sure who I'm replying to!)

I realize I'm not a good writer, but am I really this bad?!

It would be helpful to have one message to collect all the details.   I'm
following issues across multiple forums and it is easy to get confused
over information from an earlier post.

The "freezes" are not screen blankings.  After booting the F31 live
image from the USB stick,
I launched Firefox.  I started typing in the URL to load the fedora
HYPERKITTY.  Midway through that, the workstation suddenly stopped
responding.  The display did *not* go blank, go crazy, or anything
else.  The f31 background, Firefox, and the usual things at the top of
one screen continued to show, but not change.  It looked normal.
Nothing would happen in response to my typing or using my trackball.
Only when I pressed one of the 2 buttons on the top of the tower case
did the screen change (go black).

It would be helpful to know what those buttons do.   I can guess that one
is power and one is reset.   As has been mentioned, the ability to do a reset
can rule out some issues where the graphics device doesn't get properly
initialized on a reboot.

If pressing that button on the top of the tower case is doing a hardware
reset, then it was necessary.  I could also have toggled the power
switch near the bottom of the back of the tower case.

The rear power switch is used to remove all power, e.g., when swapping
cards or trying to eliminate the small power consumption when the system
is "off" but can be woken up via a front panel button or LAN.

The freezes as I described above in this post happen only when I booted
the f30 live image from the USB stick (but not every time I did that),
never when I boot the f31 live image from a USB stick,
never when I boot f30 from the hard drive,
never when I boot windows-7 from the hard drive.

The same is true of the hot CPU warnings.

Yes, either the CPU or the motherboard has some built-in video. (The
CPU, the motherboard, and the memory were bought separately.)

By the way, I also noticed that the memory tests had the CPU (not the
GPU) cooking at over 70 degrees centigrade.

Name brand vendors put a lot of expensive engineering into airflow and
cooling.  Homebrew systems often have overkill numbers fans and CPU
coolers, but airflow patterns don't allow the coolers to work at full
capacity.    Still, with the GPU idle during memory tests, I'm surprised
that the CPU gets hot -- have you refreshed the thermal compound
between CPU and heat sink?

See:
https://www.passmark.com/forum/memtest86/45951-cpu-overheats-during-memtest86

Question:
During a typical session (booted from the hard drive), I (even as an
unprivileged user) can launch the NVIDIA X Server Settings GUI to look
at the GPU temperature.  Is there a way to check the CPU temperature
during a typical session (root, admin, or unprivileged user)?

For CPU temperature there is a GNOME shell extensions called Sensors.  It uses lm_sensors.  See:
https://www.ostechnix.com/view-cpu-temperature-linux/  for ways to use
lm_sensors in a terminal (or ssh session, which is what I have used in the past with headless
servers).

--
George N. White III