Re: Microphone embedded on headphones not recognized

Tim:
>> That model doesn't have a microphone.  The cable they show only has
>> the usual 3 pole plug for stereo headphones.

Paul Smith:
> Thanks, Tim, but it does have a microphone:
>
> https://www.sony.com/electronics/headband-headphones/mdr-zx110-zx110a-zx110ap
>
> Mine is:
>
> MDR-ZX110AP model

Okay, that's a (slightly) different model than the one you previously
linked to.

That Sony page doesn't give pictures, nor an adequate description of
the connections.  When it comes to headsets with mikes, there's two
common ways to do it:

A y-lead with separate mike and headphone connectors (3 pole TRS - tip,
ring and sleeve for each of them).

Or a single lead, with a 4 pole plug (TRRS - tip, ring, ring, and
sleeve) that has everything together.

And just to be difficult there's two incompatible wiring standards for
the 4 pole plugs.  And, either way, you *may* not be able to connect
that directly to a lot of computers.

As far as voice clarity goes, that could simply be the quality of the
mike.  Sometimes it's just a badly formed air hole in the mike casing,
often it's a bad mike element.  And some sound cards have crappy input
stages, too.  You can run some tests by recording through the computer,
and listening to playback.  That's easier to judge than asking for
other people's opinions over skype.

Mikes that are placed part way up the headphone cord are not near your
mouth, and will be picking up a lot of ambient noise as well as your
voice.  Holding the mike nearer to your mouth may help a lot.

Mikes built into the side of headsets suffer similarly, but with no way
to circumvent that problem.  The better type of headset has a mike on a
boom that gets it closer to your mouth.  Proximity helps an awful lot,
so that you are much louder than the ambient racket around you.

--

uname -rsvp
Linux 3.10.0-1062.12.1.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Feb 4 23:02:59 UTC 2020 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All unexpected mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.