Re: prep. for upgrade.

On 3/11/20 12:24 PM, home user wrote:
(see the upgrade instructions)
I did that before opening this thread:
 > I plan to upgrade to f31 in about a month.
 > I looked thru the instructions for the upgrade.

(release notes)
I had already seen those, too.  They do not tell me things I should do before upgrading to prevent trouble.  For example, I don't recall the f30 release notes telling me to back up each user's .thunderbird before doing the upgrade.

Why is that necessary? I've never had a problem with user data after an upgrade. But it's a good idea to back up your home directory regularly anyway.

(Fedora magazine article)
That tells me nothing more than what the upgrade instructions say.

If, as Ger implies, there's nothing (more) that I need to do beforehand, that's fine.

My personal method is to run:
dnf upgrade *dnf* systemd* *repos *release
before doing the upgrade, but the best thing is to just make sure the existing install is fully up to date before starting. Those packages are selected to avoid issues with keys and picking up any fixes with dnf and systemd that might affect the upgrade process and offline boot.

(On Wed., 2020-03-11 5:42 AM, Patrick wrote)
 > Then why do you say you'll be downloading
 > a live version of Workstation? That's not
 > necessary for upgrading.
Y'all are missing something.
The upgrade instructions advise (I realize this is not required):
"WARNING .... As a precaution, download the Fedora Workstation Live image <https://getfedora.org/en/workstation/download/> in the event something goes wrong." The Fedora Workstation Live image is not needed as a part of the upgrade process proper, but in case something goes wrong.  If someone does an upgrade, and then afterwards can't log in, or worse, can't boot successfully, then he has something to fall back on.  Power down, plug the USB stick with the Fedora Workstation Live image on it into one of the workstation's USB ports, power up, and he has at least some functionality, hopefully enough to diagnose and fix whatever went wrong.  This is also useful when other uncommon things go wrong (e.g. hard drive problem, as I learned almost 3 years ago!).

It's always a good idea to have a live boot of some sort around.

(Fedora Media Writer)
Already have it.  I could not find a man page for it.
bash.1[~]: man mediawriter
No manual entry for mediawriter
bash.2[~]: which mediawriter
/usr/bin/mediawriter
bash.3[~]:
Tried it anyway.  I saw no way of getting f30 onto my USB stick.

It's intended to install the latest version, but if you download a different one, you can use that to write it. Actually, I just noticed there's a dropdown if you click the "version 31" link that lets you pick 30 instead.

But if in future you want to find some specific version or spin, everything's at https://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/.