Re: prep. for upgrade.

On Tue, 2020-03-10 at 19:31 -0600, home user wrote:
> (On Tue, 2020-03-10 at 6:56 PM, Patrick wrote)
>  > ...The recommended way to upgrade is with dnf, ...
> That's how I do it, just as the on-line instructions say.  I'm not doing
> a new installation.

Then why do you say you'll be downloading a live version of
Workstation? That's not necessary for upgrading.

>  > I think you're mistaken. ...
> I hope you're correct!  What I originally said was merely a personal
> impression.  Perhaps "problems" was not the best word to use.
>
> Additional info., if it's relevant:
> My pre-upgrade back-up backs up user data only (with one exception), and
> only what the users (me) directly, deliberately create/modify. The
> exception: I back up only one hidden directory created by applications:
> .thunderbird.  No systems files are backed up; I don't have the space
> and time.

Sure, that's standard procedure. All the same, if /home is on a
separate partition it isn't really necessary and I've never done it for
an upgrade (other than my usual nightly backup of course).

> One possible concern is intentional changes, improvements, that could
> cause problems or break things if I don't know about them in advance,
> and therefore don't properly prepare.  Since my last upgrade (to f30, in
> October), I've noticed changes in my grub menu. The dracut entry
> disappeared.  Another emergency entry disappeared. One of two windows-7
> entries no longer works.  That's one example of what I'm concerned
> about.  The change in Thunderbird in the last upgrade caused me a lot of
> trouble.  I wonder if there was something I could/should have done
> beforehand that would have avoided that.

You can review the Release Notes before doing the upgrade. That usually
tells you stuff you need to know. However, Fedora is designed to be a
fast-moving distro, so a degree of breakage is always possible. The
only way to know is either to wait for a long time (which you seem to
be doing as F31 is well into its lifecycle by now) or do a test
install, say on a VM. Personally, I tend to jump in within a few days
of release, given that a lot of testing has already happened by then.

poc