Re: open double quote on top of next character

On Thu, 2020-02-27 at 16:42 -0700, home user wrote:
> I thought AR PL UKai CN Book is a monospace font.  My understanding
> is that Chinese, Japanese, and Korean characters all fit in
> uniformly-sized squares, and this should be true of sans-serif fonts,
> Ming fonts, and regular fonts (includes AR PL UKai CN Book). So
> 1. Why does AR PL UKai CN Book not qualify as a monospace font?

Just wondering:  Does the font include Roman characters, as well?  Or
is your example combining Roman characters from one font, and the
Eastern characters from another?

> 2. What does qualify a font as monospace?

Theoretically, a font should identify itself as such (so that other
software can filter out/in monospace fonts from font selection
choices), and its creator should accurately describe their font.

It's not unknown for fonts to be faulty (three examples below).  That
can be immediately obvious when a glyph is badly drawn, but less
obvious with metadata.

I used to use MG Open Modata in a website name logo, because it looked
nice and was easy to read.  However, it's numerals are crap.  They're
oddly spaced.  The inter-character kerning, and the width of some
individual characters, are all wrong.

Anyone who uses circuit diagrams is probably familiar with seeing
something that's Chinese or Japanese, and their own language looks
beautifully printed, but any Roman characters are typed like they came
from a mangled typewriter.  There'll be some letters shoved too far to
the left or right, maybe even overlapping, or differently sized.

Trying to put musical flat signs into text is next to impossible.
Every font I've tried that has them puts a stupid fat space left of the
flat sign.  Music scoring software uses its own internal kludges to
change the intercharacter spacing of a bad font, rather than supply a
decent font.  Without that kludge, trying to type E flat, for instance,
had a whacking great big space (where none belongs) between the letter
E and the flat sign, where you haven't even typed any blank spaces.
And some music scoring overcompensates, so you end up with the flat
sign starting to overlap the edge of the E, and looks almost like you'd
typed B flat.

--

uname -rsvp
Linux 3.10.0-1062.12.1.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Feb 4 23:02:59 UTC 2020 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All unexpected mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.