open double quote on top of next character

(background/environment)
f30; Gnome
The problem is seen in the Gnome terminal editor, but not in gvim, Firefox, or Thunderbird.
The terminal's font is set to the system font (vs. custom font).
The system font is set to "AR PL UKai CN Book 16".  This is set via the "Tweaks" tool.  I really do need to use the UKai font.

(what I do)
When I view a Chinese music video in youtube, I also make notes about it in a text file. I use vi(m) to edit that file. 1. In Firefox, I load a youtube video whose title and/or description (poster's comments) contains Chinese text.  This text is found below the video itself, and above the section for comments by viewers. 2. Using the trackball (cursor), I select the text containing Chinese characters.
3. I paste the selected text into the left part of google translate.
- Below the Chinese text that I pasted in, google translate displays "pinyin" (the "romanization" of the Chinese text). This is useful for pronunciation. - In the right part of google translate, google translate shows its English translate guess. 4. Using the trackball (cursor), I select the pinyin, and paste it into my text file of notes about the video. 5. Using the trackball (cursor), I select the English translation guess, and paste it into my text file of notes about the video.

(what I see)
When the Chinese text contains the Chinese equivalent of the open double quote (it looks like a double version of the less-than character '<'), then in my notes file, in the pinyin and English, it shows as an open double quote with the next English character in the same position (that is, on top of each other).  There is no problem with close double quotes.  I have not seen this problem with any other character.  I've attached an example text file, and a screen capture of that text file in vi(m).  Notice in the screen capture: - in the second non-blank line, after "13", an open double quote and the letter 'Y' appear to be in the same position. - in the third non-blank line, after "13 ", an open double quote and the letter 'I' appear to be in the same position.
This problem occurs a lot, and it does make editing difficult.

(the question)
My sense is that this is not something that I can fix on my workstation.  So I should submit a bug.  Where should I submit the bug, and against what (the font or the terminal or something else (what?))?

"13《印象國樂-大曲》指揮/許君任"
("13“YìnXiàng Guó Yuè-DàQū” ZhǐHuī/Xǔ JūnRèn";
("13 “Impression of the National Music - Daqu” Conductor / Xǔ JūnRèn")
"https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ysk7zcXs3g";