Re: Key-Based Authentication -

Key based authentication works well in small environments, you
generate the keys (recommend you consider ed25519 instead of RSA,
etc), distribute them across the servers (public keys) and update the
authorized keys file. On the server side you configure SSHD to use
keys vs. passwords (disable password based authentication). As long as
you do not lose the keys you are good. If you have console access to
the server, then you can always reconfigure SSHD back to passwords in
the event you lose your keys. For larger environments, this may not be
the ideal choice and you may want to consider ssh certificates (not
the same as x.509 certificates).

If you are going to be using ssh certificate authentication (highly
recommended) you will need to ensure the certificates do not expire
and so need to renew them ahead of time. As long as you have console
access to the remote server (most cloud providers have this) you can
always reconfigure sshd to allow yourself back in in the event the
certificates have expired. As you will be issuing the certs, you have
control on their duration.

Frank