Re: Loss of Administrative Privileges on Only Account

On 13/1/20 07:29, Stephen Morris wrote:
On 13/1/20 03:32, Samuel Sieb wrote:
On 1/11/20 6:34 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
On 2020-01-12 10:24, Samuel Sieb wrote:
FWIW, the "System Settings" process that I'm talking about simply places the user in the "wheel"
group.

Yes, that's what administrator rights means for a user.

I also should have asked "how" the OP lost admin privileges since it was stated by the OP "Removing the privilege has removed my account from sudoers" which is inconsistent with the
the "wheel" group assumption.

For a typical user, not being able to use sudo would mean not being in sudoers.  And in a way it's correct.  If you aren't in the wheel group, you're not included by the sudoers file any more.
Hi Samuel and ED, I encountered this issue as I was trying Gnome under Xorg and KDE as the upgrade I did from F30 to F31 has caused Wayland to not work properly on my system. I have another thread around the Wayland issue (as a side issue to this, in another vm image I reinstalled F29 from scratch and upgraded it to F31 and the Wayland issue still occurs). While I was checking whether KDE exhibited the issues I was looking at my account in settings and it had and it had the administrative privileges checkbox set. Incorrectly thinking that meant that administrative privileges were permanently set rather than through sudo, I unchecked the setting. After this I tried to use kwrite to update /etc/default/grub, as the upgrade to F31 overwrote the changes I had in there, but kwrite was unable to save my changes because I was not in sudoers. I also tried using sudo in both a KDE and Gnome shell, under KDE and Gnome, and under both when I used it I got the message that I wasn't in the sudoers list and that the violation would be reported. I do not have the root user active, as having installed KDE from Gnome via the Plasma group in dnf, I was not prompted to supply a root password, and I also thought that Fedora was like other distributions and disallowed the use of the root account.
Following the instructions in the link provided by Patrick Laimbock I have enabled the root account by setting its password, and used it to add the administrative privilege back to my account under KDE. In testing whether the Wayland issue happened on a new account, I created an account for my wife which I have also added the administrative privilege to so that I have a backup account I can use if I cause this issue again.

regards,
Steve

regards,
Steve