Re: Help: F30/31 laptops only ones not able to connect to Wifi Linkhub hotspot

On Fri, 3 Jan 2020 at 17:50, Ranjan Maitra <maitra@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,

Thanks again for your suggestions! See inline for my answers.

The devil is in the versions.

Sent: Friday, January 03, 2020 at 10:43 AM
From: "George N. White III" <gnwiii@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "Community support for Fedora users" <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Help: F30/31 laptops only ones not able to connect to Wifi Linkhub hotspot
On Fri, 3 Jan 2020 at 01:55, Ranjan Maitra <maitra@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

I have been lost for the past day and I need some help.

There are 7 android devices and a linux mint laptop that effortlessly connect to a linkhub (Alcatel HH41NH). There is no limit to the number of devices that the linkhub can connect to.

Is the MAC filter enabled on your linkhub?    Are the Fedora systems using MAC address randomization?  Does the linkhub have a hidden SSID?

The MAC filter is not enabled on the linkhub.

The Fedora system is using MAC address randomization, but we also tried it without.

The linkhub does not have a hidden SSID.

However, two Fedora laptops each running F30 and F31 are not able to connect. Both laptops are updated to the latest as of Tuesday December 31, 2019.

We have tried all sorts of things but can not connect. dmesg seems to indicate that a connection is established but the log messages seem to indicate otherwise.

Does anyone have any suggestions? We are a little lost. I am including the relevant dmesg, log messages and journatctl output. Happy to provide information as needed.

NetworkManager has become quite complex, and sometimes makes bad decisions.   You can sometimes force a connection using nmcli, which may provide an indication of the underlying cause of your problem.

We tried with nmcli, but get the same failure to associate and eventual timeout.

That is a starting point.   Next, nmcli allows you to compare details between your Mint and Fedora systems until you see Fedora doing something different.

 See Gnome NetworkManager Documentation

The linkhub is not mentioned.  The error message is not mentioned.

Try the name of your ethernet adapter and the associated kernel module.   You can also try a general search for
the adapter and kernel module.

In the past, there used to be some hotspots which only talked to Windoze. However, all the other machines that connect are on android and the one laptop that is running Mint (that I am using to write this e-mail) with the 4.15.0 kernel. They appear to have the same configuration as per NetworkManager.

I assume that by "same configuration" you mean the NM settings look the same in the GUI.   NM itself is likely not the same:

My Mint 19 box has an older NM:

$ apt show network-manager
Package: network-manager
Version: 1.10.6-2ubuntu1.2

Fedora 31 has NetworkManager-1.20.8-1.fc31

I see Ed asked to look at the file where the NM configuration is stored.

If I was in your position I'd be tempted to try newer NM versions in the hope that
a bug was squashed.

The other suspect is power management for network devices.   For linux, you can see the states using lspci, for
example, my desktop has:

$ sudo lspci -s 01:00.0
01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 15)
$ sudo lspci -s 01:00.0 -vvv
[...]
                Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1+ D2+ AuxCurrent=375mA PME(D0+,D1+,D2+,D3hot+,D3cold+)
[...]
        Kernel driver in use: r8169
        Kernel modules: r8169

Thanks again for the help!
Ranjan

You are very welcome.   Fedora lives on the edge and we all benefit from the people who encounter problems and are willing to contribute to finding the cause, which is the first step towards changes so others won't encounter the issue.

--
George N. White III