Re: Fedora 30 no boot -

Bob Goodwin writes:

I saw that Fedora-30 was driving one cpu to 100% continuously and top showed dnfdragora was the cause so I dnf removed dnfdragora, a bad move as it turns out overthought it has always been a useless appendage for me you are punished for killing it.

After a number of tries I finally have that system in "maintenance mode" but I find it to be limited in the commands it can use and I don't know what to do next. I tried ssh from this box but no connection that way. And the screen presentation is in very small difficult to read font that I must use a hand magnifier to read.

That computer also has Fedora-31 on another drive, I select the system I want from the boot menu ...

I don't really need Fedora-30 any more but I would like to fix the damage so any suggestions would be helpful.

You bailed out of a package upgrade at some point in the middle of it.

There is really no cookie-cutter recipe for fixing this. This is all dependent on exactly what is/isn't/halfway installed. There are some general things that can be tried, that may or may not work.

The first thing I will do in this situation is

rpm --rebuilddb

That'll get the RPM database cleaned up, if needed. If the rpm database is borked and this doesn't work, pretty much give up and reinstall. Otherwise:

rpm -qa --queryformat '%{INSTALLTIME} %{NAME}-%{VERSION}\n' | sort -n

This lists all packages ordered by their installation time. This tells me what was the last thing that went on the books as officially installed. I'll save this for informative purposes, it may or may not offer clues as to where things are.

rpm -qa --queryformat '%{NAME}\n' | sort | uniq -c | sort -n

The most common form of package breakage is a newer version getting installed and the older version not removed. This lists how many versions of each package is installed.

It's expected to have multiple versions of kernel packages installed, but anything else is grounds for removal. Use 'rpm -q <name>' to list all versions of each duplicate package, then 'rpm -e' the older ones. Might have to deal with dependencies.

If this blew up in the middle of installing kernel packages, I'll manually review and make sure that a complete set of all kernel packages of each versionis installed, and remove any partially installed set.

One exception to this rule is multilib installation. That's going to result in both 64 and 32 bit packages listed as installed. Maybe use
'%{NAME}.%{ARCH}\n', perhaps.

Then:

dnf distro-sync

and

dnf upgrade

If something was in the middle of getting installed. This should hopefully reinstall it.

All of the above relies on everything on the box getting installed via rpm. If there's anything that's been cowboy-installed, really there's no script to follow here.