Re: how can I use a live usb to update ?

On Fri, 22 Nov 2019 17:15:58 -0500
sean darcy <seandarcy2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> So I chroot'd into the old installation. BIOs boot, not EFI. No
> entries at all in grub.cfg.

Are you trying to convert from bios/mbr boot to uefi boot on the
upgrade?  I think if you already have a bios/mbr boot system, it would
be better to upgrade with the same method of boot, and once the upgrade
is complete pursue the conversion.  I vaguely remember that there was a
conversion to snippets around F28 to F30, and that changed the boot
process as well.

> ran grub2-mkconfig. No entries again in output. It can't find the f29
> and f30 in /boot.

If it is bios/mbr boot, it should be using the grub.cfg in
/boot/grub2/grub.cfg.
Is there anything in that file?

Can you post the output of
ls /boot
and
ls /boot/grub2/
and
ls /boot/efi/EFI/fedora

> Tried grub2-install /dev/sda2, but that died because no EFI grub
> files.

Are you using a gpt formatted disk?  UEFI needs two extra partitions,
but no record in the mbr.

> The a bugzilla on this which was closed NOTABUG. The EFI files
> are not installed om purpose to keep people from using grub2-install.
> You can dnf install the efi modules. Which is a great suggestion for
> a broken upgrade, where dnf is not available.

I am not sure, but I don't think it is possible to update a system
using an mbr boot to a uefi boot.  I think you will have to install uefi
from an installer booted in uefi.  i.e. fresh install  Maybe someone
else can give better information.

> There's a grub.cfg.rpmsave which seems to have been generated by
> anaconda. I'm going to try to use that to boot. It only has the f29
> kernel. My plan is to reinstall the f30 kernel. Maybe anaconda will
> actually work correctly.

I confess that I'm confused, and we're in areas that I have only passing
acquaintance with.  For some reason, you are a corner case, and I can't
understand why from the information I have.