Re: Thunderbird and text messages -

On 11/18/19 1:24 AM, Ed Greshko wrote:
On 11/18/19 2:01 PM, Tim via users wrote:
On Sun, 2019-11-17 at 21:51 -0500, Bob Goodwin wrote:
I communicate with others during the day via text messaging via
Thunderbird. I simply address them with 'phonenumber@xxxxxxxxxx and
they respond using my fastmail.us email address, this is an essential
feature and we have been doing it routinely for several years, it
worked perfectly until Fedora-31. Now the message is received but the
message itself is not displayed. I can double click on the line at
the bottom that shows a .txt attachment and it will offer the option
of viewing it in mousepad, a really crude method that adds extra
steps.
That sounds more like a change in how they were sent.  Though you could
look for options like display as plain text.  Or the opposite, if
they're being sent as HTML.

If the texts are being sent as attachments, rather than being the
message content, I think you're going to be stuck with this problem.
Most mail clients do not show attachments directly, though some can
have a click to view option for some kinds of attachments.  A sender
can suggest to automatically show the attachment, but that depends on
the sender doing it, and your client supporting it, and it being the
kind of data that the client can display by itself.
The best thing to do would be to post the headers to the list.

But, yes, that sounds like this is the case.

This may help, but with T-Bird you can go to "Edit---Perferences--->Attachments"
and for Incoming *.text files you can pick the application you want to use to open
the text message.  On a KDE system it defaults to KWrite.  But you can pick
your preferred editor.

.

I see in the message header:

Sat, 16 Nov 2019 22:03:49 +0000
account1
1464709152.61470
0001

Doing ""Edit---Perferences--->Attachments" and for Incoming *.text files you can pick the application you want to use to open the text message."

and selecting mousepad does get the message text displayed by clicking on the "Attachment:text_0.txt" notation at the bpttom of the display.

That may be a workable solution if it doesn't affect anything else ...

Thank you for the help.

--

Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA