Re: grub2 always defaults to old kernel despite correct configuration

> I think the problem is that just tells Fedora to use the previously
> saved entry as its default, and there's other things (perhaps more than
> one) that determine what will actually be the default.
>
> In the old grub (which was easier to follow the instructions) if you
> wanted a particular boot entry to be remembered as the default, you had
> to add a save default instruction to that boot stanza.  As that stanza
> was executed, it set itself as default and booted that kernel.  Any
> other entry that didn't have that instruction, wasn't remembered.  I'm
> not sure if grub2 behaves that way, too.
>
> There's a boot once option, which means that you make a decision to
> boot from some other kernel, without changing the saved default.  You
> might boot from a rescue option to fix something, and not want that to
> be the default, you'll like your next normal boot to do the usual
> kernel.
>
> There's a boot next option, which allows you to set which entry to boot
> next time, after doing that the subsequent boot will be the default.
> That can be used for things like making the PC reboot into the UEFI
> config mode.  Once you exit the config, it'll reboot and boot up to
> your usual kernel.
>
> Doing a bit of googling, /boot/grub2/grubenv file cannot be manually
> edited.  Use the following command instead:
>
> [root@host ~]# grub2-set-default 0
> [root@host ~]# grub2-editenv list
> saved_entry=0
>
> That 0 should mean the most recently installed kernel.

Thank you so much Tim!  When I ran 'grub2-set-default 0' again and ran grub2-mkconfig it seems to have worked!  I've rebooted twice and the system seems to work.

I'm not sure what the root cause was as I've never consciously use the boot next option and I'm not aware of a failed boot in ...years.