Re: F31 upgrade non-starter

On 11/8/19 7:40 PM, Temlakos wrote:
Everyone:

I just tried to upgrade to F31. And I couldn't get past a few seconds in the upgrade environment before it "failed out" and rebooted to F30, after touching nothing.

For the record: I started by running:

sudo dnf upgrade --refresh

When one of my packages (a third-party package named mkvtoolnix) didn't upgrade I reran the upgrade command with two additional flags, per the explicit suggestion:

sudo dnf upgrade --best --allowerasing

That did it, and I have a working version of mkvtoolnix, even with its GUI apparently baked in (so that the separate mkvtoolnix-gui package is obsolete and now removed).

Then I ran this command:

sudo dnf system-upgrade download --refresh --releasever=31 --best --allowerasing

It took many hours, but I got 2.8 gigabytes of downloads. I also imported three GPG keys. It did successful transaction check and test. Before anyone asks: I have never been able to do a successful CLI upgrade using the system-upgrade package without passing the --allowerasing switch to the download command. I passed the --best switch because it seemed to work on the upgrade command and I thought I was adding an extra measure of security.

Then I ran

sudo dnf system-upgrade reboot

And what happened? Well, first it rebooted into the upgrade environment. And I saw the progress screen.

And then, rather abruptly, the upgrade progress screen vanished. I saw a very brief message from a program called "watchdog" that went by too quickly to read.

Then it rebooted into my present F30 environment.

Result: I have a working system, but it's still in F30 and I don't know why it failed to start the upgrade process, or how to get it started.

At the moment I have a bunch of downloads of F31 packages, all dressed up and nowhere to go.

If anyone wants to see logs, I ask just one thing: tell me what are their names, and in what folder I will find them. Then I'll be happy to copy and paste them.

As far as I know, nothing like this issue has shown up in Bugzilla, unless I'm missing something.

Temlakos

Postscript:

The log at /var/log/dnf.log has a "CRITICAL ERROR" message--something about having conflicting commands and not being able to install the "best" version. They suggest passing the --skip-broken switch.

Questions:

1. How do I remove the present downloads so I can start over?

2. Should I pass the --best flag, when running dnf system-upgrade download, or skip that?

3. Should I pass --allowerasing?

4. Should I pass --skip-broken?

And especially should I pass --allowerasing and --skip-broken both at once?

Temlakos