Re: Google Cloud Printing With Cups

On 11/8/19 12:53 PM, Stephen Morris wrote:
On 8/11/19 12:41 pm, Ed Greshko wrote:
On 11/8/19 9:32 AM, Stephen Morris wrote:

On 29/10/19 8:47 am, Stephen Morris wrote:
Hi,

    Can someone tell me how I add a Google Cloud Printer to cups once I have the cupscloudprint package installed?
Sorry I forgot to mention this is in F30. I found instructions for the service but the service fails when started.

You may want to consider posting the instructions and service as well as the error.

Is the cloudprint package part of the F30 release or did you acquire it elsewhere?
Thanks Ed, I'll try and find the instructions again. The package wasn't from the fedora repositories as I couldn't find anything via dnfdragora that related to google cloud print, and at the moment cups doesn't show any network printers at all, not even the printer that has already been defined to google cloud print via windows.
I did find a methodology for activating google cloud print in cups from a python application, but that applications was written in python 2.7 which is almost end of life, but that application required modules that the fedora implementation doesn't have, and, when I downloaded the first required module using the 2.7 version of pip, it downloaded and installed a python 3 module into 2.7. I'm not sure why it installed the python 3 package as when I look at the properties of the package it clearly states it python 3. The other issue is one of the modules require for python has been deprecated in 2.7 but is still there for backwards compatibility but has been removed in python 3, hence we can't use 2to3 to convert all the python 2 source to python 3.
I also found the source code for the google cloud print on github which I downloaded, and one of the directories in that package is named "systemd" and contains a single entry name cloud-print-connector.service which I was able to enable via systemctl. When I tried to start that service it wanted to run a program which didn't exist. The source code for that program was present and I was able to compile it using "go" and copy it to the location the service was trying to run it from but the service still fails. It is possible the process is looking for other modules that may need to be compile but at the moment I don't know what they are. The messages from the service start are below:

sudo systemctl status cloud-print-connector
● cloud-print-connector.service - Google Cloud Print Connector
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/local/downloads/cupscloudprint/cloud-print-connector-master/systemd/cloud-print-connector.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Fri 2019-11-08 15:49:03 AEDT; 13s ago
     Docs: https://github.com/google/cloud-print-connector
  Process: 7058 ExecStart=/opt/cloud-print-connector/gcp-cups-connector -config-filename /opt/cloud-print-connector/gcp-cups-connector.config.json (code=exited, status=217/USER)
 Main PID: 7058 (code=exited, status=217/USER)

Nov 08 15:49:03 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: cloud-print-connector.service: Service RestartSec=100ms expired, scheduling restart.
Nov 08 15:49:03 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: cloud-print-connector.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 5.
Nov 08 15:49:03 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: Stopped Google Cloud Print Connector.
Nov 08 15:49:03 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: cloud-print-connector.service: Start request repeated too quickly.
Nov 08 15:49:03 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: cloud-print-connector.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Nov 08 15:49:03 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: Failed to start Google Cloud Print Connector.

These messages were obtained after running the gcp-connector-util program to create the config file being used by the connector.
The URL of where I downloaded the connector from on github is https://github.com/google/cloud-print-connector.

regards,
Steve

What about the contents of cloud-print-connector.service?

--
The key to getting good answers is to ask good questions.