Re: Removing old kernels attempts to remove more than kernels...

Stan,

Thank you for your response... it's DEFINITELY appreciated.

A little misunderstanding here though. I could have been more explicit in the description of my problem. I have seen this situation before (and written bug reports on it). This situation looks like a packaging(?) problem. I once tried this kind of thing and dnf came back with > 800 (maybe 1400) packages to remove... including rpm and dnf et. al.... NOT GOOD. It's good that dnf asks if it's ok to proceed. Whew. Bullet dodged.

So... I'm not trying to back out to fc31... all my kernels are f32. You DO bring out an interesting possibility though. If the newer f32 kernels depend on different "things" than the older f32 kernel I want to keep... there would be a big problem. Sigh. I haven't seen anything like that though. Yay!

The "real" situation is that I have frozen this system's kernel at an older version because of problems with the newer kernels going crazy... reporting apparent stalling on cpus (excessive disablement maybe). I thought I had a broken cpu but went back to the oldest kernel and the messages went away. I haven't written a bug on this mainly because I haven't had much luck with reporting kernel bugs. This current effort was the beginning of an effort to get the most current kernel and see if the problem persists... and then report the bug... if that's what it is. Just talking with you has given me an idea though. I could change the # of kernels to retain, install the latest kernel, test for messages, write a bug if the problem still appears... AND I'd still have my latest kernel. I'll give that a try.

So... THANKS for your help It was GOOD "talking" with you,

George...