Re: Wifi systens -

On 10/4/19 2:35 PM, Bob Goodwin wrote:
On 10/02/19 12:59, Samuel Sieb wrote:
I have setup wifi in a school with currently around 15 access points and there is no problem roaming around.  They are all consumer routers reflashed with openwrt.  They used to be all TP-Link, but now I'm starting to switch to Ubiquiti.  The whole school has both 2.4 and 5GHz available on the same SSID and different SSIDs for different groups.
.
I wonder if the Ubiquitia/p's are a better choice than the ASUS RTN66 routers I have? The one I was planning on using for this purpose failed when I tried to reset it, at the moment it's a "brick." it was advertised as factory refurbished, had a 90 day warranty according to the label. I forget when I bought it but it has had several years of use and they get pretty warm. Change anything and problems pop up ... Anyway I will have to get something else and will have to make a choice.

Any sugestion appreciated.

The Ubiquiti ones are nice. A couple of cautions though. By default you need to use their software to configure them, I think they are designed for large installations with central management. If you do want to use openwrt (which I recommend), you have to ssh in to them to do the flashing. They also only have one ethernet port (unless you get the more expensive one that has two). They are definitely intended as access points, not routers.

I have used TP-Link routers for many years and have been generally happy with them. Unfortunately the newer ones are generally not supported by openwrt yet. That said, the not so new ones are still good and some have 802.11ac support as well.