Re: Wifi systens -

On 10/01/19 18:10, George N. White III wrote:

The Apple Airport Extreme allowed you to configure one unit as
the router and others as range extenders.   This gave one network with
multiple access points and a single login with DHCP assigned IP that
worked as you moved in and around the house.  My previous house had
cable internet that came into the basement.    The was a massive brick
chimney in the center of the house which created a large dead zone
opposite the router.  My wife's office was on the 2nd foor and could not
connect to a wifi router located near the cable connection.  With 2 Airport Extremes we had very robust wifi throughout the house with all sorts of devices, but the household generally consisted of 2 adults, no internet gaming but sometimes a
couple video streams going to laptop or tablet screens.

.
We had an Apple Airport something, I dunno the exact version, but she had trouble with it and I determined it had died, suggested tossing it since it was out of warranty. She was storing photos on it but I couldn't get them off without opening the case to remove the drive, dunno what decision was made afterward.

Now I live in a modular house with metal siding, and have a Pakedge system with an access point (connected back to the router by cat 6) in each module.   This gives us robust access throughout the house.   I chose Pakedge because they had a record
of supporting their dealers well.   The TV's each have cat 6 to the
router.   I did try using one TV on wifi but it sometimes had problems.
.
We live in a rural area in a two story frame house with no basement, just a crawl space. I can no longer do many of the things I know how to do and the best I can do is to try and tell someone else what to do, smart people but they have different skill sets. Running some cat6 lines would be possible but I leave that option last.

https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/231645-best-whole-home-wifi-solutions/

Some of my colleages live in more urban settings where there are many wifi routers competing.  Since wifi came into existence I have lived in rural settings with low
density of wifi routers.

The two main thnigs to consider are your bandwidth requirements and the
RF environment (stuff that blocks or reflects the signal and number of
other routers within range).
.
The kids have moved out and most of the time it's just us three adults, there is no on line game playing, just some photos, video clips, etc. They can use the satellite TV router for movies at times but that's a different ethernet port on my ViaSat modem, I only have consider usage in that case and with the new satellite connection it has not been a problem. It looks like the Netgear Orbi would probably work but I hate to give up any of the features  I have in the ASUS routers I have now..

So thar's [robably more than you wanted to know about my situartion.

Thanks,  Bob

--
George N. White III

--