Re: Please recommend a super fast video editing software for Fedora 31 Linux

On Fri, 20 Sep 2019 15:32:35 +0800
Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming <teo.en.ming.smartphone@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Good afternoon from Singapore,
>
> I am presently using Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 15.0 on Windows 10
> Home Edition to render 4K Ultra HD 3840x2160 videos. My processor is
> 5th generation Intel Core i7-5820K @ 3.3 GHz with 6 cores only. My
> motherboard is MSI X99A SLI Krait Edition with LGA2011-3 socket and 32
> GB DDR4 memory. However, 4K video rendering on this platform takes an
> extremely long time, typically more than 10 hours to render a 2-hour
> 4K video.

I'm not sure what you mean by rendering here, but if you mean changing
frame dimensions, transposing, or other compute intensive operations, I
think you have described the problem below.  Commercial enterprises use
render farms to do these operations, and even they take a long time.
You could look for articles about places like Pixar to see if they
mention the computing power they use to get a better idea.

> Please recommend a super fast video editing software for Fedora 31
> Linux which can do 4K video rendering significantly faster.

I don't think there is such a thing.  I use a program called avidemux3
to do simple editing, but I have never used it on 4k.  There is a
program called ffmpeg, and if anything is going to be fast, it is, but
it is a command line program, where you request via options what you
want done, and it does it.  Both are available in rpmfusion.

> Perhaps it is not the software but my processor which could be the
> bottleneck. Do I need to upgrade to 16 or 18 core processors like the
> Intel Core i9-9980XE Extreme Edition or AMD Ryzen 9 3950X to render 4K
> videos significantly faster?

See first comment.  More power means faster, but it means the software
has to be aware of how to use that power (parallel processing).  Is
the software you are using parallel aware?  If it isn't, adding more
horsepower is a waste of money, as it won't be used.  Does it say
anything about maximum cores it can use?