Re: How to request a new package.

On Sat, 3 Aug 2019 at 17:29, Robin Laing <MeSat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 01/08/2019 01:28, Samuel Sieb wrote:
> On 7/31/19 7:44 PM, Robin Laing wrote:
>> Still should be a Fedora package though.
>
> There are lots of packages that would be nice to have, but someone has
> to do the work.

So very true.

One reason so many go to Ubuntu.  Seems to have everything.

Ubuntu has what economists call "network benefits" from a very large
and globally diverse user base.

For almost any hardware there will be people trying to make it work
with Ubuntu.  For almost any non-niche software there will be Ubuntu
users trying to make it work.  The PPA system makes it easy for
developers or porters to provide Ubuntu packages.

I often advise Windows users to find an older unloved and unwanted
PC that can't handle current windows software and install Linux (to
run some software from NASA that originated over 20 years ago on
SGI Irix and has never been ported to Windows).   Ubuntu usually
installs from a live image where other distros have problems.  If there
are problems, the Windows user can usually find a nearby Ubuntu
user to help at any research institute or university around the globe.

The biggest problems I have with Ubuntu is the many internet sites
that suggest using "sudo" where it is not appropriate and
users who to reinstall whenever something stops working instead of
learning how to fix the problem (too often because a side effect of
what they did with "sudo" made files in their home directory
inaccessible or put config files in root's home directory).

I do wonder what will happen with the IBM ownership.

The majority of Fedora users will be people who use or
support Red Hat or CentOS production systems so gravitate
to fedora on development workstations or laptops.

--
George N. White III