Re: router usb port problem

On 6/26/19 10:21 AM, AV wrote:
> I have a linksys e3200 router and 3 pc's connected:
> fed30 desktop, fed30 laptop & Imac with latest macos Mojave.
> All connections are ethernet (I don't like wireless).
>
> I also have an Epson inkjet connected by usb cable to Imac.
> I can print from Imac: usb + wireless(if I configure wireless)
> I can print from desktop: usb (but too much bother switching
> cable from Imac to desktop)
> I can print from laptop: usb + wireless(if I configure wireless)
> The desktop does not have wireless card so can't use that.
> (Wireless printing is directly from pc to printer, not via router)
>
> Now the linksys e3200 has a usb port that should be able to handle
> compatible disks and printers. If I could could configure this
> for the printer I would be able to print from all 3 pc's
> without problems as the printer is in the local network.
>
> The problem is I can't get this to work.
> First I don't even know if the port is active (i.e. if it works).
> I don't have a compatible disk to try if it works with storage.
> (It certainly doesn't work with usb sticks).
> If I "configure" printing (ipp) with cups after installing Epson
> driver I cannot print ("no connection" to printer).
> It (an IP address) does not show up in anything I try
> (nmap only shows the router and the pc IP's for example).
>
> A check should be able using the 'Cisco connect' software
> on the Imac. But the latest version is not accepted by Mojave
> even though it should be compatible, so I cannot install it.
>
> Is there any way of finding out if the usb port is working?
> If not I will have to buy a wireless dongle for the desktop
> and use wireless (even though I would prefer not to).

Have you tried accessing the router via its web interface? I don't have
such a beast handy, but the web interface may offer the ability to
set things up. Try "http://192.168.1.1"; (or whatever IP address it's
set to). By default, the username is "admin" as is the password. See
page 26 of the user guide (I pulled down the PDF from Linksys' website).