Re: OT - Antivirus clean up USB

According to the threading, it appears you're replying to me.

On 5/25/19 11:27 AM,   sixpack13 wrote:
maybe you mixed Windows Rescue and Vendors Rescue/recovery.

the first comes from M$ and is able to boot the box and do some simple tasks (Win 7, don't know if Win 10 can do more)
analogous to F30 rescue.

On the Microsoft website, you can get an ISO file to install Windows. I don't know how to navigate there, but Google works well:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10ISO
It's a full offline installer that will install into the space you tell it to. I don't think it creates the recovery partition.

the second is an disk image (like dd) from the vendor and contains:
- a complete Windows installation with drivers, application, bloatware, etc.
- a set of tools to freshen and/or to restore that recovery and maybe a change to the boot sector to provide an function key to start recovery out of the boot sreen

Vendors (almost?) never provide media. You should create a recovery image from within Windows before it gets messed up.

restore overwrites the hole disk or at least the windows partition with that contents, an image, in the (normally) hidden recovery partition.
It simply reset the box to the state when you bought it.

I'm pretty sure that the recovery image doesn't use that hidden partition, but I do think it creates it. Probably the recovery image creator process uses that partition to create the image. My memory is that using the recovery image wipes the hard drive and repartitions it.

Do note that I've done this very rarely and I've had very limited success with using recovery images. Usually I've just ended up using the full installer instead.

P.S.
we discussed that already weeks ago.
when do you want to start remembering it ?

Too many threads to keep track of. If you want me to remember, provide a link to the archive.