Re: off list Re: OT - Antivirus clean up USB

On 5/24/19 5:53 PM, jdow wrote:
On 20190524 14:43:17, ToddAndMargo via users wrote:
On 5/24/19 11:11 AM, Javier Perez wrote:
Hi. This is Off Topic.
Is there a reliable usb or dvd  distribution with tools to clean up viruses, root kits, whatever from a Hard drive? I got a quite slow windows 10 laptop from a nephew for clean  up (I do not know what kind of viruses/malware might be lurking in there). Rather than hooking it to my home network I would prefer to first start it from a cleaning usb/dvd and at least catch and erase them off line instead of giving them the opportunity to try and conquer my linux realm :)
Thanks

https://www.eset.com/int/support/sysrescue/
Use dd to cut it to a Flash Drive

If all else fails, do a dd /dev/zero and wipe out the hard drive
and start over.

If you have not used Windows Nein, oops, Windows Ten before
you are in for a rude awakening!  Swearing helps.What
were they thinking!

:-)
Meh - I have my Win 10 looking and acting almost 100% like Windows 7 except for the mandatory updates. "There are tools." Now, getting KDE or Gnome tamed into modest usefulness is close to impossible without a lot of blood sweat and tears.
So pots and kettles are both black.

{^_-}

I work on Windows, Linux, and MacOS.  Windows Nein, oops,
Windows Ten is so badly done it makes my head spin.
Windows 7 and XP are far more easy to work on.  But then again,
if you pay me, I will work on anything.  Couple of years
back, I fixed a CAD/CAM assembly line based on DOS.  I
had a blast -- old home week.

But ShutUp10 and Open Shell do help.  And turning off Fast Boot.
I also turn of the updates as they are so badly done they make
my head spin.  Doesn't not matter anyway because I use the 10
VM for research only.  And the updates cause more trouble
than they are worth

Mac OS is weird forth the sake of weirdness.  It works okay
and is stable, but why they do what they do is beyond me.
Most of my Mac OS customers do no know how to exit programs
or how to shutdown their computers.  You would never get away
with this with Nein.

As you can tell from my previous writing, I am not a fan of
RHEL and clones.

My favorite OS of all time is Fedora.

Not that it matter on this list, but Windows Nein just release
build 1903

My favorite Windows Nein wall paper:
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/fc/53/1e/fc531e0d43f8417669eb1aca874ff2ab.jpg