Re: Custom rtsp/rtmp server for incoming video streams

Earl Terwilliger via users writes:

What about SRS:

https://github.com/ossrs/srs/wiki/v2_EN_Home

We are using it as a vimeo replacement using OBS studio to stream to it
and transcode to FLV and MP4..

That seems to be what I'm looking for. Its packaging, though, appears to be quite ...interesting, with a handwritten configure script, rather than a stock autoconf or cmake script. The handwritten configure script is sprinkled with hardcoded callouts for Ubuntu and, apparently, CentOS, but it appears to be horribly broken on Fedora. This is what passes for a "configure" script in that package, a small sample:

               rm -rf ${SRS_OBJS}/st-1.9 && cd ${SRS_OBJS} &&
               unzip -q ../3rdparty/st-1.9.zip && cd st-1.9 && chmod +w * &&
               patch -p0 < ../../3rdparty/patches/1.st.arm.patch &&
// [ a bunch of patch commands ]
               make ${_ST_MAKE} EXTRA_CFLAGS="${_ST_EXTRA_CFLAGS}" &&

It actually unzips a bundled package, applies some patches to it, and runs make for it. And the unzipped+patched Makefile is broken on Fedora.

Looking at what's in the source tree:

https://github.com/ossrs/srs/tree/master/trunk/3rdparty

That's what gets bundled inside this beast.

I'll bet it statically links everything.

Not sure exactly how exactly one goes about preparing a standard RPM out of something like that.

Oh, and the icing on the cake is that after I managed to figure out a standard patch to work around the configure script's compilation problem, the configure script then tried to run sudo:

http_parser.c:1952:5: note: here
http_parser.c:1960:10: warning: this statement may fall through [-Wimplicit- fallthrough=]
http_parser.c:1965:5: note: here
http_parser.c: In function ‘http_parser_parse_url’:
http_parser.c:2093:18: warning: this statement may fall through [-Wimplicit- fallthrough=]
http_parser.c:2096:7: note: here
ar rcs libhttp_parser.a http_parser.o
[sudo] password for mrsam:

After examining what exactly it was trying to sudo, I determined that it was completely unnecessary; so I patched it out. That made the alleged configure step work. But the (real) make build bombed out because, apparently, it's broken with OpenSSL 1.1.0, and the configure script decided to compile against the system openssl, instead of unpacking and statically-building the bundled version. After a closer look, I found nothing in this package's build system that actually unpacks and builds the bundled openssl. The package appears to bundle an older version of OpenSSL, but the mechanism to unbundle it correctly appears to be missing. I gave up at this point.

Somehow, I doubt that this will be packaged in Fedora at any time in the foreseeable future.

That's really unfortunate, because this seems to be what I'm looking for.

Presuming, of course, it doesn't include a built-in crypto miner, or a spam server, or something of a similar nature. If you built this yourself, on Fedora, I'd be interested in seeing the steps you followed. If you just installed the CentOS tarball that this Chinese-developed software package apparently provides for your convenience, you might want to consider reformatting all your machines and reinstalling CentOS. Just saying...