Re: how to have dual boot on new laptop

On Fri, May 10, 2019 at 5:37 AM Gianluca Cecchi
<gianluca.cecchi@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> It seems gparted doesn't work well with gpt and many advise to use gdisk/sgdisk utilities instead, if I have understood correctly

gparted uses parted, and parted has supported GPT for a long time.
Whereas gdisk/sgdisk are much more user friendly, with the former
being similar in style to fdisk. These days, util-linux fdisk does
also support GPT.

> More, if disk is gpt I'm no more limited with 4 primary partitions, so in theory I think I could shrink the 45Gb partition and then create 2 more partitions for / fs (comprising /boot directory inside it) and swap partition (just to manage possible events of shortage of memory, even if I have 16Gb of ram on the laptop...)
>
> I have doubt about numbering, because p3 will become smaller and if I create in the middle of p3 and p4 two more partitions, what will happen?

It depends on the tool but the typical case is the existing partition
entries, which dictate the partition numbering, remain intact. New
partitions, even though they use space "in the middle" of the drive
following p3, will have entries 5, 6, 7 ... If you care about this, at
least gdisk has an option to resort the partition entries to match up
with how the space is carved up. But there is no requirement to do
this, it's not better, it's a matter of personal preference. If you
have things that refer to partitions by number, e.g. /dev/sda6 for
swap, rather than UUID, then resorting the partitions give them a new
number and such node referencing will break, whereas UUID method will
still work.

> And could I still use the Windows Recovery one...?

No you should leave it alone.

> I also found some references that now you can shrink from Windows itself the partition where it is running, so perhaps I could shrink from within it and also create two more partitions then... and finally reboot and install Fedora?

Since the main Windows volume is owned by Windows and is a Microsoft
file system, I always do file system shrink in Windows. And then I let
the Fedora installer install into free space. It just really depends
on your comfort level. Having Windows shrink causes free space to be
created. And then Fedora's automatic partitioning will simply use it
correctly. You don't have to interact with it.

--
Chris Murphy