Re: Modem/Router/Router -

On 4/14/19 2:12 PM, Bob Goodwin wrote:
I have a new problem with my internet connection which a few others on this list may have encountered. They [Viasat] replaced the modem and antenna in upgrading the system. The new modem has an integral router having none of the feature I need to manage data usage, I've already used more than 80% of my allowance in the first week. I normally use a router with DD-WRT installed providing the features I need, showing the amount of data used and which devices used it.

The first thing to try is ask your provider to switch the modem into bridged mode. That is what I get for the places I manage. In some cases, it might involve setting up PPPOE on your end. If they can't or won't do that, then you'll have to try the other options.

The problem is feeding their router data through my DD-WRT router. An ethernet port is provided which they claim work but provide no information for doing so. They sent a "technician" a few days ago and he knew nothing more about it than I do except he assured me it should work but did not know how to set up both routers, tried what he could for an hour and said if you can't make it work and call for help, tell them to send someone else ...

If you can't disable the wifi on the modem, then you can just ignore it. Connect the WAN port on your router to the ethernet port on the modem. You end up with double NAT, but it should still work.