Re: Need a statement on Fedora's purpose

On 4/1/19 11:23 AM, Digimer wrote:
On 2019-04-01 11:58 a.m., Beartooth wrote:
On Sun, 31 Mar 2019 20:51:32 -0700, ToddAndMargo via users wrote:
	[....]
I think that the term "stable" here should be replaced with "buggy".
RHEL is intensely buggy and their bugs seldom get fixed; Fedora has a
few bugs, but they are rapidly taken care of.
I'm confused, maybe because I've never tried RHEL. (No way I
could ever afford it.) Where do these bugs come from, and how do they get
into RHEL??

I use RHEL and CentOS quite a lot, and it's quite stable. They can have
quirks, certainly, but once you get a system working the way you like,
it will keep working that way for years without issue. Now if you add
EPEL or other third party repos, things might change, but that's not the
fault of RHEL/CentOS.

I use Fedora as my daily OS and I've used it frequently to "test the
waters" for what future RHEL/CentOS might be like. I've even done early
port work on our code on Fedora Server, but I would never put that into
production.

Fedora has a life cycle of "One release + one month". So when F30 is
released, F28 will got EOL one month after. With an average of about 2
releases a year, that means a system would become unsupported in a bit
over a year from initial release. In the world of servers, that's
exceptionally short and not sustainable.

Our platform would not be supported on Fedora Server for this reason
alone. It takes time to get things stable, and the 10-year life space of
RHEL/CentOS is crucial for us. It's nothing for a deployed system to
still be in use, basically untouched saved for regular updates, for 5+
years.

I suspect that the reason OP's vendor won't support Fedora is similar.

By stable, one needs to state "stable as in does not crash"
or "stable as in the code base is frozen".

The vendor just does not like spending the time or money
to fix his stuff.  This will bite in the the butt eventually
as even RHEL eventually changes releases.

My experience, is that software have the same issue as "broken
glass" has with crime.  You don't go after the little crimes and
eventually you only have the big one to cope with.  Software
is the same way.  It is NEVER finished.  There is always
something to enhance and to fix.  You don't keep up with it,
eventually it will pile up on your house of cards will bite
you really hard.

The vendor is fooling by not seeing this as an opportunity to
keep is code clean.