Re: OT: using MS Graph to retrieve e-mail from Office 365 and deliver to linux MTA on F29

On Thu, 21 Mar 2019 09:49:50 -0400 Tom Horsley <horsley1953@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I can't for the life of me tell: Is Office 365
> "multifactor authentication" the same as OAUTH2?

Yes, but not enough. Our university decided to set up a third party authenticator called OKTA so these things need to talk to each other.

We have figured out how to do this talking and can download e-mail writing our python code but it comes down in json format. I don't want to have to write an entire MTA or e-mail client just to read my e-mail. So I was looking at some other option that can be used.

I came across something called JMAP but I am not sure if it is relevant. All this is a bit beyond our domain of expertise and that presents a problem.

> I've been trying to find a fetchmail-like thing
> that supports OAUTH2 so google will stop badgering
> me about using an insecure access, and there is a
> python thing called "getmail" which, in theory, has
> a plugin for doing OAUTH2 access.
>
> I haven't tried to set it up yet, so I don't
> know if it works to make gmail happy or not.
> (I keep seeing references to fetchmail 7 having
> support for it, but I can't find any pointers to
> even a beta of fetchmail 7).

fetchmail 7 alpha has support for this but it is specific for gmail (which is your use case). I have built an RPM for this and am running it, but I have noticed that the copr site also has a new RPM here:

https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/vcrhonek/fetchmail-7.0.0-alpha/

I know that my RPM works and retrieves e-mail from other servers that do not use this 2FA drivel. I am sure that the copr one does too, but i have not tried it. Btw, fetchmail's options on ssl has changed (you need sslmode wrapped) in 7 alpha.

It is not enough to run fetchmail. You need some python code to get your token which is here:

http://mmogilvi.users.sourceforge.net/software/oauthbearer.html

Note also that you will need to figure out a way to send mail via postfix or some other option. That webpage is pretty detailed.

Best option is to ignore OAUTH2 for as long as you can.

As I said, this is not relevant to my case.

HTH,
Best wishes,
Ranjan