Re: (OT) Beeping drives used for backup

On Sun, Mar 03, 2019 at 03:30:09PM -0800, ToddAndMargo via users wrote:
> On 3/2/19 8:24 AM, Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
> >On Fri, 2019-03-01 at 05:06 -0800, Todd Chester via users wrote:
> >>What I have been lately, is building my own with drives
> >>with Rosewill backup cases (RX304-APU3-35B).  I populate
> >>them with Western Digital drives
> >
> >What are the advantages/disadvantages of this approach vs. NAS.
> >
> >Here's what looks obvious:  Rosewill is cheaper than NAS.  However
> >NAS might have a faster interface.  Data transfer over ethernet is
> >checksummed; what about data transfer over USB?
>
> In my experience, USB3 and Ethernet are about tied with each other
> for speed.  It does not matter how fast your Ethernet goes, if
> your computer can not process the data.  eSata runs at the speed of
> internal hard drive.  (The Rosewill is Sata III.)

That seems to be true, based on small evidence. I recently had to
back up two 1TB drives, using dd and the only thing I had with
enough space was the Synology NAS down at the other end of the
ethernet cable (with a switch in between). One gig ethernet, but
operating on inexpensive hardware, so I was surprised that when
coying both items at the same time, dd reported each one was doing
about 52MB/s (which isn't far from a gig/sec, counting both copies
going simultaneously).

a few days later (due to circumstances beyond my control) I had to
do it all again, but this time I had a WD 4TB USB drive to copy
it to, assuming it would be faster. Guess what! it wasn't. just
about 50 MB/s according to dd. Made me wish I had purchased a bare
sata drive instead and plugged it into the computer.

> As far as NAS devices go, I find them pains in the neck.  They
> always have some weird quirk that ...  I had one that
> would not speak to Cobian Backup no matter what.  Another
> that would not delete directories when asked.   And
> yet another that would not talk to a Mac, even though I
> was staring at the directions, along with an Apple Tech
> remotely logged in.  I prefer just setting up a Samba server
> instead.
>
> Does not mean that all NAS devices are bad, just that I haven't
> found one I like yet.  Their big problem is the same problem as USB
> hard drives.  They are meant to be cheap.  No one even
> looks at the expensive ones.

My cheap Synology NAS box (DS216j) is a low-end device and it has
(so far--knock on wood) been reliable, with two 3TB WD reds inside,
has been great.

Being lazy, I just access it via SMB from all computers in the house
(I'm the only one using Linux, everybody else is in bed with Windoze).
Couldn't be bothered to configure NFS. Looked at configuring iSCSI but
it looked like a lot of work for little or no benefit, especially since
we just use it so all of us can store stuff on it, not for backups.

--
---- Fred Smith -- fredex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -----------------------------
                       I can do all things through Christ