Re: KDE Desktop Environment Doesn't Boot After Installer Puts Entry in Desktop Manager in F29

On 21/2/19 11:22 pm, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Thu, 2019-02-21 at 22:32 +1100, Stephen Morris wrote:
On 21/2/19 9:48 pm, Ed Greshko wrote:
On Thu, 2019-02-21 at 20:29 +1100, Stephen Morris wrote:
On 21/2/19 6:47 am, Samuel Sieb wrote:
On 2/20/19 1:02 AM, Stephen Morris wrote:
lspci provides the following output for the device:

00:0f.0 VGA compatible controller: VMware SVGA II Adapter
As Patrick pointed out, this is clearly not an NVidia device.  You can
find out which driver is actually handling it, by running "lspci -v".
There will be a line with "Kernel driver in use:".

"lspci -v" gives me the following output:

00:0f.0 VGA compatible controller: VMware SVGA II Adapter (prog-if 00
[VGA controller])
           Subsystem: VMware SVGA II Adapter
           I/O ports at 1070 [size=16]
           Memory at e8000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
           Memory at fe000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=8M]
           [virtual] Expansion ROM at 000c0000 [disabled] [size=128K]
           Capabilities: <access denied>
           Kernel driver in use: vmwgfx
           Kernel modules: vmwgfx

This output is under Wayland. I have previously installed the nvidia
proprietary driver from Negativo17 via dkms, and from what I can see
from the Xorg log, Xorg is loading that driver and the corresponding glx
module just before the message that Xorg can't find any display devices
to use.

I also checked the xorg.conf file and it specifies to use the nvidia
driver, should I change it to the above driver or is the above driver
unique to Wayland?
The driver has nothing to do with Wayland as such. Clearly an Nvidia
driver isn't going to work with a non-Nvidia GPU, which is what your VM
has. If you're loading the Nvidia driver anyway, this may be the source
of the problem. Remove the Nvidia stuff and try again.

Kernel driver in use: vmwgfx

vmwgfx is VMWare guest GL driver

If it were nVidia it would read

Kernel driver in use: nvidia
I have tried removing the nvidia entries from the device group in
xorg.conf, and, also specifying driver "vmware" instead of "nvidia", and
in both cases Gnome and KDE can be started with Xorg.
I would uninstall the Nvidia support completely to be on the safe side
(i.e. remove the package or at least blacklist the kernel module), but
that may not be necessary.

In both cases
though they start with the wrong screen resolution relative to the
resolution that the vmware player is using. Gnome under Wayland is
capable of re-setting its resolution to match that of the vmware player
when maximizing the player, but KDE is not capable of doing so under
Wayland. I might have to play around with the resolution configuration
parameters to try to get Xorg to set its resolution to match vmware's.
I use KDE under X as currently Wayland support for KDE is running
behind Gnome. You may want to ask on the KDE list for more information.

Thanks Patrick, I'm still deciding which way to go, as I'm a bit wary of Wayland having had a bad experience with the Gnome/Wayland combination in F28.

regards,

Steve

poc